OT. Ubuntu best Linux for beginner

And what about 'installing XP' and 'total idiot' is inconsistent?

Microsoft: Software for Idiots.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Man at B&Q" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Or if you've got some godawful off-brand hardware that's an utter bastard to find the drivers for.

I've wasted a day on audio and video drivers before, and the sheer hassle trying to get the install to even start off on some weird off-brand laptop with two drives and an off-brand RAID controller. Wouldn't play with the drivers being loaded from F6+floppy, either - ended up having to slipstream the drivers into the install CD.

Reply to
Adrian

Is that because idiots have slow internet connections to install the myriad updates?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or trying to access one's account with BT internet. I would still have installed it as I have numerous charts and stuff that it's always handy to use M$ to get at and of course the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I heard that. Pardon?

The spammer at B and Q has a nuge grunge and has not thought clearly. You on the other hand lack clarity in both directions.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Would that be a law of the land or a law of market forces?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you cant take a joke you shouldn't be installing Microsoft;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can take a joke but not one that needs clarification. I go on the premise that if you need to explain it it aint funny.

Since most people are using M$ products and have only been considering alternatives since the Vista fiasco, it's only reasonable to assume that the product is viable. You can for example install software for it fairly easily.

And that last is the reason behind the OP's fear of things new. As for an alternative that weighs in at the same scale as Vista was alleged to when it was called Longhorn, I think 4.5 GB is quite a lot of code.

It's not as if the newbie is going to know what to do with it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A what?

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

I don't know, but it sounds fairly infectious.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Must have caught it off Weatherlawyer.

Isn't there some fundamental right to knowing what you are accused of (having)?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A lot of shit.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Many thanks for the various replies.

Have downloaded the Ubuntu install file, burnt it to CD & installed it with no problems at all. All very straightforward.

Have used firefox and thunderbird for years.

M$ applications have caused much more grief in the past.

If only I could sort out Nokia's software. Latest version of maps on my N86 means I have to re-boot to turn off GPS! No answers on the forum where others are having the same problem. Nokia/Ovi have become unreliable and very economical with the truth. I have bought my last Nokia.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Welcome to the club.

I finally fixed the last remaining bloody irritation in my X-windows setup.

Indeed.

Plot, lost, sad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher