OT TV Selection

I want (not need) to get a new TV - 37" LED Back light.

I don't want to end up with an end of range / outdated picture engine / display panel / specially branded for store model / could have got the same much cheaper.

Any tips so that I get one which I won't regret after a few weeks / months

Regards

John

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Going on my experience, look at John Lewis and Samsung. The current year's are quite cheap and a 5 year warranty.

Reply to
PeterC

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:30:19 -0000, DerbyBoy I want (not need) to get a new TV - 37" LED Back light.

I had been thinking of posting a similar question - current TV (which was quite an early TFT model) is behaving oddly. Sometimes is fine, then has a hissy fit for a few minutes. So far it has always recovered by switch-off/switch-on - but have a nasty feeling someday soon...

Difference is I would only want 32" - but assume that the answers would be much the same.

One thing I have noticed so far is that a few have Freeview which is not Freeview HD. Which seems ever so cheapskate.

Reply to
polygonum

In article , DerbyBoy scribeth thus

Have a look at the latest Bavria's from Sony. Excellent pictures even on SD!..

Also have net connection so built in iplayer and you tube etc etc...

Reply to
tony sayer

Good article with plenty of info here:

Ret.

Too much choice, isn't there! I started with Which? customer feedback and decided Panasonic or Sony. Looked at John Lewis, Tescos, Sainsburys, went for a Plasma Panasonic from Amazon in the end. Went for full HD with HD Freeview. So far no problems at all.

Oh, and swivel brackets are significantly cheaper on eBay than from TV suppliers. I bought one from a big seller with very good feedback and it looks fine (not actually fitted it yet)

Reply to
Newshound

I looked closely at power as some friends had bought a Toshiba LED 32" in

2009 that was nominally ~95W. I managed to get it to about half that but the PF was ~0.5 and it was being run from a battery via an inverter - not good. My 37" sammy, bought a year ago, is nominally 130W and gives a v. good picture at about 48 - 55W (depending on ambient light and content in picture) at a PF of =>0.95. If I wanted a good but rather dim picture it'll go down to ~40W. My brother is about to buy a new TV and we looked at this year's Sammy 40" LED and the power is about the same as my 37" - and it's cheaper!
Reply to
PeterC

Well, unfortunately you will. The old traditional way of avoiding that was to Rent.... and ye know how sensible _that_ is/was. You could step behind the curve and buy secondhand (though, not that bloke down the pub...)

Work through understanding your requirements, order them in terms of importance (yes, if reliability and power consumption come above picture engine gymnastic abilty) and take account of things you may plug in. Also sound quality may be a concern. Integration with your PC & network?

Most just give up and buy an averagely priced Panasonic, which is probably not a bad move for Coronation Street viewing, unless you really need all the bells and whistles that normally are enjoyed by very technical consumers and enthusiasts, not really interested in broadcast TV but more home cinema.

Checkout Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc...

Reply to
Adrian C

Sony's KDL- 37EX723 is an excellent 2D set. (It's a lousy 3D set).

I find Samsung's motion interpolation distracting. Some of their panels are locked at 60Hz, which means for UK 50Hz content, you're watching almost completely "made up" pictures. I don't think most people notice.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Work through understanding your requirements, order them in terms of importance (yes, if reliability and power consumption come above picture engine gymnastic abilty) and take account of things you may plug in. Also sound quality may be a concern. Integration with your PC & network?

Most just give up and buy an averagely priced Panasonic, which is probably not a bad move for Coronation Street viewing, unless you really need all the bells and whistles that normally are enjoyed by very technical consumers and enthusiasts, not really interested in broadcast TV but more home cinema.

Checkout Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc...

Reply to
DerbyBoy

In article , DerbyBoy scribeth thus

When we went looking for a TV I was met by a yob in Richer sounds who kept on insisting that all the telly's "looked crap cos thy all run of the one aerial" and wouldn't hear otherwise.

Whereas the demonstration at JL was much better and a young lad who was quite well informed and seemed to be interesting in some of the tech aspects of the TV (SONY) he was selling..

Needless to say JL got the business;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Also they always maladjust the colors on the cheaper sets to make them look crap.

I the end all the display panels are pretty similar - the difference is in the CPU power to manage fast changing scenes and in how accessible and user friendly the menu system is. Play with a set before you buy..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many, if not most sets are maladjusted out of the box, for display garishness.

There are some significant quality differences, depending on who the panel supplier is - in the case of my own set, it could have had one of 4 or 5 panels - pot luck, but it turned out the one I got was ok.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've never understood the enthusiasm for 3D TV. To me, it looks like flat cardboard cutouts, much like a Victorian toy theatre, which I don't see as an advantage.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Which Nov 2011 p30 had an article

Allan

Many thanks - I am starting to focus on a Panasonic TX-L37E3B having decided against the Smart (TX-L37E30B) version as the internet facility seems very limited - I may as well plug in my laptop.

Reply to
DerbyBoy