OT: TV Repair??

Sorry to be so far off topic, and I will not be doing it myself!! You guys seem to have quite an extensive knowledge of most things. My TV (24" CRT Hitachi) has tonight developed a Pink tinge all over the picture. NO amount of resetting etc, restores it back. Is this economically repairable does anybody know? If we are talking under £50 I will probably try to get it repaired but if over then I will probably go for a new TV, 42" Plasma sounds nice, but i have to convince SWMBO.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

If it is just a tint rather than a complete absence of green then it can usually be adjusted. A clue is if it still does a reasonable white and that it's the dark tones which are bad. Or the other way around. On older sets these adjustments were made by internal pots. Newer sets it's often software. Do a Google to find how to get into the service or engineering menu.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have a fault in the degaussing circuit.Its probably the Posistor and should cost about 5UKP to source plus about xUKP for "the tv fixer" to do it. Prolly about 50quid in total if fixed in house - for about half an hours work.

Paul (Ex Tv engineer)

Reply to
Paul King

On second reading (it IS late - and I'm "tired") an all over "pink" tinge suggests failure in the green circuit or the tv. this could be a simple re-adjustment of the drive to the CRT to early failure of the tube itself, which, again can be "compensated" for by re-adjustment, but will eventually result in failure. It depends on how old your TV is.Over 10 years - it owes you no money, bin it.

Reply to
Paul King

It is an all over pink tinge, how do I do this "re-adjustment" as I cannot see anything in the User Menus?

TV is approx 8 years old so I aint bothered too much if I "cattle truck" it trying to re-adjust, but if I can get another week or so out of it whilst I try to convince SWMBO that we REALLY NEED a 42" plasma it may help!!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

One of mine did this. I kept hitting it.Its lost a bit of focus, but its been clean colorwise for about 2 years now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So really it needs to gradually deteriorate over the next week..... A small adjustment each day should do that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it developed 'suddenly' then the most likely cause is a bad joint on the tube base in either the green or red output amplifiers, depending on whether it is a pink tinge on the highlights indicating an excess of red content, or a pinky purple tinge on lowlights, indicating a lack of green content. Either way, it would probably be short-term adjustable, but repair would not be expensive, if this is indeed the problem, which is a common one on all makes and models. Other possibilities include data corruption in the EEPROM that stores the various settings, and less likely, the tube itself. Although tubes can fail suddenly in this way, if some crap and corruption falls off one of the cathodes and lodges against the grid, the effects of this tend to be more severe than a 'tinge'. Tubes tend to fail gently over a protracted period of time.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

SWAMBO will be easily able to afford a new one when she collects your life insurance! If you don't know what you are doing don't take the back off.

Reply to
Sandy Morton

"Plasma" sounds so much more sexy and appealing than "LCD"

Reply to
John

John wrote in

And, I was surprised to learn, at those sizes it isn't significantly more power-hungry.

Reply to
PeterMcC

I'm surprised at that - they seem to get very hot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a good chance the adjustment is via a menu.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

backlights for large LCD panels?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in

Perhaps the emphasis should be the other way round:

"At those sizes, an LCD TV is as power-hungry as a plasma TV."

Reply to
PeterMcC

I don't think they are. The backlights do use power but they are fairly efficient. I did notice that LCDs are usually brighter than plasma, one of the reasons they tend to have worse black levels. I can reduce the brightness on mine in addition to the brightness control for the picture.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home wrote in

Well...

...I did say I was surprised.

My quick Google initially hit a cnet article that said LCDs over 42" were as power-hungry as plasmas. Always fancying a bit of triangulation on such statements, I did a quick check and I looked up 42" plasmas and 42" LCDs.

As it happened, I hit LG TVs which it seems are pretty comparable plasma to LCD. I guess that's a good ad for LG plasmas since they are unrepresentative of the difference which certainly does exist.

Your comment made me check further and this looks fairly definitive:

are quite right, Dennis - plasmas generally seem to be around 50% more power-hungry than LCDs.

Reply to
PeterMcC

If the pink tinge is:

- in the dark areas, you need to adjust the red black level

- on whites but blacks are ok, you need to adjust green drive, and if that doesnt work, increase voltage to the tube heater, which should give you a long time more from it

- if it really is all over, you'll need to adjust the red black level and drive.

Chances are its a fairly easy fix, though it may require a 33-50% voltage boost to the tube heater. Wehn I say easy fix, I mean if you have electronics skills. Without them its best not to get fried, tvs are riddled with serious risks internally.

If it is falling emission though, be very ware of repair shops, who tend to rejuve tubes. This gives a great short term result, but after a few months its then beyond repair. For some reason tube boosting seems to have fallen from general knowledge in the repair trade, so thats a diy option.

Tube boost is usually done by either of:

- add an extra turn on the LOPT, connecting it in series with the tube heater supply

- move tube heater power from a regulated rail to its unregulated side, which gives around 4-5v extra

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Most of the replies about positronic diffusers and flux capacitors went over my head, but if you haven't already - try reconnecting any cables from other equipment attached to the TV (or if they pass through another device, reconnect the cables on that device too). I've had colour tinges caused by loose SCART cables before.

Reply to
Sampa Bay

John wrote on 03/06/2008 :

Have you recently altered the orientation of the TV in the room?

That, combined with faulty degaussing circuit could produce that problem. If only switched on and off via the remote, the degaussing circuits do not operate. You might try turning it off at the socket a few times, but leave a few minutes between to allow the circuit cool down and recover.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield