OT : TV licensing - must I compy?

Hi,

No need to, just scribble 'NO TV' across the reminder in big letters, and send it off without a stamp. Evidently it gets to the other end :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

So what it is doing in your living room or bedroom? Buried at the back of the loft under 1/2" of dust is another matter...

Quite, if it was in a living area you'd have a hard job convincing a "reasonable person" that you never switched it on.

And, IMHO, the watching of videos means the equipment is installed and therefore requires a licence. End of story.

If ripping the tuners sections out of a video and TV are beyound you monitors are available and video players, ie videos that don't record ergo don't have a tuner. Even then your not completely in the clear as you could watch a broadcast video recorded by someone else...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because I live in a free, democratic country and can keep in my house exactly what I want and do with it as I wish.

Well, I'm only playing and of course we cannot keep drugs and sub machine guns etc (though many seem to like to) but I cannot see that the above would have to be considered a 'reasonable' question.

Hell, some people keep rats, or collections of Elvis records or plates with pictures of dogs on. Some adults even pay serious money for those ridiculous dolls that are supposed to be ornaments.

Anyone remember the Franklin Mint?

Hehe! Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

warrant, which they are

I have not had a TV for fifteen years. Every couple of years they send a piece of paper and I write NO TV on it and send it back. When I changed address their (new) response to the NO TV comment was that they would be coming to check up on me. One year later they haven't done so and I wouldn't let them through the door if they did. I could be fantasising, but I believe that a track record of NO TV is worth establishing

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Not these days, a lot of statute law has created absolute offences where you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence...

Reply to
Badger

I would have thought they would call and speak with me at least once before going to get a search warrant.

This leads to one of the things that prompted my original post. The fact is that the chances of them catching me in are minimal since I work odd and irregular hours. Indeed, my first post said it unlikely that the TV would ever be switched on before 11/midnight.

With that in mind, I would hate to think that an inspector called a dozen or so times between 9 and 5 and because he never found me at home to have a talk with, decided to go for a warrant and the first I know of it is when returning home from a weekend away to find my door kicked in.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

But why should you?

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Little bro's been chased for a TVL for years, in the end he gave my sons his playstation, his mate his DVD player and tv and watches videos on his security recorder and monitor. At work they keep chasing as we have antennas on the roof, for vhf and uhf research, even when pointing at 'amsats they think your watching TV.

Anything you say will be taken down and maybe used in evidence against you....

Reply to
Badger

No, not end of story because the fact remains that I do not watch broadcast TV on it.

What you are saying seems (I might be misreading) like capitulation. Others have suggested I buy a monitor and DVD player etc, but why should I? If you are saying that I should because it is easier and will avoid confusion or any likelihood of problems then yes, you are right, but you are also wrong.

Just because your car can go over 70pmh, I am sure you do not frequently post off a cheque and your driving license for endorsement. If they catch you speeding, then yes, face the music.

If they catch me watching broadcast TV then they can rightly throw the book at me and I'll pay up without a single moan.

But I will not just give in to them and go out and spend my money on a monitor or have to pay someone to rip out the tuner of my TV (even if it were possible, which it is not always with single PCBs). Not a case of beyond me (would hope not with a degree in Electronic Engineering), but a case of why the hell should I?

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Oh, I think the Die-Anna trust remembers them quite well ;-)

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

They certainly can detect a TV in use and tell what part of the house it's in. It is done by looking through a window. The other way is to knock on the door and ask. Most people will panic and let the inspector in.

It could also be done with very expensive electrical equipment but this is not cost effective.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

To which you are perfectly entitled to reply "Sod off" They have no right of entry to check.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I really don't follow this. If I want a TV for watching DVDs and/or playing games, and that's all I want to use it for, I can't for the life of me understand why I should pay a license fee!

Reply to
Grunff

ISTR on that discussion that most people who are done admitted it themselves and nobody had actually been convicted on detection evidence.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

On 22 Dec 2004, Mike Harrison wrote

Absolutely -- but if you exercise that right to say "sod off" too many times, they can obtain a warrant. At which point they'll have managed to see your "sod off" and raise you a "try sodding that off".

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

When the shop asks you for your address, give them the address for the TVLA ;-)

Funnily enough, if you`ve entered the USA any time over the last few years or bought hardware from Dell, you will have been asked equally stupid questions.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Well of course, IF your door was kicked in and nothing was found, i.e. no evidence of a suspected offence was found, you would be entitled to compensation.

New door/frame/locks/wallpaper around said frame.... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Another UL from US type of legal stuff.

In English law :-

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in Court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

You still retain exactly the "right of silence" as previously, but now if you do not answer a question, a court may now draw an inference from your refusal to answer a question that you may have something to hide, or that you may rely on subsequent "advice".

The whole idea of an "interview" is to establish facts, for or against, an accusation of an offence. Indeed, an interview is your chance to prove yourself innocent!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That was why I said "loosly clings"... i.e. I am aware of things like the RIP Act, but as far as I am aware such far reaching powers have not been extended to TV Licensing (yet)!

Reply to
John Rumm

You keep coming back to this, but TVL's own web site explicitly says that if you only have a TV for use with games, prerecorded videos etc. then you do not need a license.

IIRC it even goes so far as to say you can watch videos of broadcast stuff so long as they were made by someone with licensed equipment.

They may like to think that, but I can't see it sticking in court.

Reply to
John Rumm