OT - TV beginning to pack up

10 y.o. CRT, switch it on in the morning, it flickers a lot, then settles down 5 mins later. During the day, a couple of times I see an amber coloured "thin line flash" and hear a crack/pop noise. Tube is probably going.

Is this dangerous? Got kids around ATM. Don't want the telly exploding. Also, can it be fixed, or shall I get a flat screen TV? Don't want to spend much, any bargain recommendations please?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

5 mins later. During the day, a couple of times I see an amber coloured "thin line flash" and hear a crack/pop noise. Tube is probably going.

Also, can it be fixed, or shall I get a flat screen TV? Don't want to spend much, any bargain recommendations please?

There's a slim chance of a catastrophic failure with smoke and flames. If you switch it off overnight you should be OK but it's probably time to look for a replacement.

In theory your TV is repairable but if it was mine I'd replace it. A TV that crackles and pops is probably overheating some components which might well fail soon after you get the set repaired. In any case the repair will cost you a significant fraction of the cost of a new flatscreen TV and you would be without a TV while the repair was done.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Or it's the flyback going, could be something as simple as the flyback's lead has worn insulation, hence the cracking noises you hear as it arcs to the chassis, or bad solder joints.

but to be honnest, unless you know how to discharge a crt, and are happy poking around something with 20,000 or so volts on it, get someone who knows what he's doing to do it, thats if there are any real tv repair men left, modern lcd and plasma TV's are 'repaired' by substituting boards,

if you have a tv repair shop near you, and they still work on crt's, take it down, they usually give you a free diagnosis, and if it is the flyback, it shouldent be too expensive to have replaced (i have a 25 inch monitor in a video games machine, hantarex polo 2.... anyone who knows them will know the flyback is the weak point on them, and it's about 20 quid for a new one)

Reply to
Gazz

down 5 mins later. During the day, a couple of times I see an amber coloured "thin line flash" and hear a crack/pop noise. Tube is probably going.

Also, can it be fixed, or shall I get a flat screen TV? Don't want to spend much, any bargain recommendations please?

Only with a set alight TV.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

This is what happened to my old TV. It was quite spectacular and smelly. I'm glad though that there was someone around to switch it off when the smoke started to appear. if there had been a build-up of dust inside the cabinet things might have been different.

I doubt there's any economic reason to repair a CRT telly these days. They're given away on freecycle and lots go unsold on the bay. Spend a tenner and buy yourself half a dozen replacements :)

Reply to
root

down 5 mins later. During the day, a couple of times

is probably going.

has worn insulation, hence the cracking noises you

poking around something with 20,000 or so volts on it,

repair men left, modern lcd and plasma TV's are

down, they usually give you a free diagnosis, and if

inch monitor in a video games machine, hantarex

them, and it's about 20 quid for a new one) Line Output Transformer LOPTX (pron. Loptex) LOPTY Line Tranny But please, not flyback. Flyback transformer if you must, but not flyback. Not unless you are a merkin ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Have you got a local FreeCycle group? This one is awash with good working CRT sets. All makes and sizes. Often several a day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A CRT Colour TV is a marvel of technology. I guess we have almost lost the means of even making the tubes now. Cue: Cadbury Smash Alien, "So you fire an electron beam through a hole in a mask to make a phosphor spot glow....."

Reply to
DerbyBoy

In article , Graham. writes

Strictly speaking, LOPTs and flybacks are two different things.

LOPTs refer to an older design where the line output stage was boosted to about 9kV by a conventional wound transformer, and again to about

28kV by a device called a tripler to produce the final anode voltage.

There's a pic of this arrangement here:

the first image, the green box-shaped object is the tripler, in the second, it's blue.

In both cases, the line output transformer is the wound device next to the tripler.

Flybacks refer to an all-in-one unit which eliminates the separate first-stage transformer, such as this:

Mike Tomlinson

separate tripler, but I still don't totally agree with distinction as to what constitutes a flyback transformer although I concur that manufacturers can apply any label they chose for their components.

TV EHT circuitry has been described as flyback derived EHT since they stopped making sets with separate oil filled mains energised EHT transformers in the 1950s

What I was objecting to was the word "flyback" used by itself like that, which is an American infiltration to our language which we must all guard against. Right?

Reply to
Graham.

We have a British Heart Foundation charty shop in an old Woolworths building. Nice display of working CRTs in various sizes.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Graham. writes

I think it's become a generic term for any line output stage, much like 'hoover'.

Right on, brother.

Although a woman I used to work with in monitor repair called them "flys", which I found even more grating.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed. It makes it not worth the bother having one fixed. Unless it is very special.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks a lot for everyone's interesting replies. I had a careful think abo= ut all the suggested options, and decided to get a new flatscreen TV. I go= t it from a local PC World store, and it cost =A3250. It's a 32" Toshiba. = The image quality is perfectly acceptable. The sound is tinny compared to= the "meatier" old Sony tube based TV I had, but that is to be expected. I= 'm not bothered - it sounds clear enough. Generally speaking, I am pleased= with it. =20

I understand that flat screen TVs use less electricity than old tube based = TVs, so perhaps I should think about this as a cost saving investment. Als= o, the old failing TV is so heavy that I didn't really fancy farting about = getting it to a repair shop. But I've got to stick it in the car at some p= oint, to take it to the local recycling centre...I'd rather dump it, becaus= e if it is faulty and potentially dangerous, I don't want some unsuspecting= person plugging it in and it catch fire.

Reply to
cdr

all the suggested options, and decided to get a new flatscreen TV. I got it from a local PC World store, and it cost £250. It's a 32" Toshiba. The image quality is perfectly acceptable. The sound is tinny compared to the "meatier" old Sony tube based TV I had, but that is to be expected. I'm not bothered - it sounds clear enough. Generally speaking, I am pleased with it.

They don't really. A phosphor screen is a sort of fluorescent tube, so is the backlight on most LCD's...and the screen uses less power when its 'fark' - the LCD does not.

getting it to a repair shop. >But I've got to stick it in the car at some point, to take it to the local recycling centre... >I'd rather dump it, because if it is faulty and potentially dangerous, I don't want some unsuspecting person plugging it in and it catch fire.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It'll be interesting to see if it lasts ten years, I suppose.

I'm not sure that it makes much difference - the modern TV might even be worse.

Cut the power cable off - anyone with half a brain will take that to mean that there might be something wrong with it, even if they do end up with it somehow.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

down 5 mins later. =A0During the day, a couple of times I see an amber col= oured "thin line flash" and hear a crack/pop noise. =A0Tube is probably goi= ng.

ing. =A0Also, can it be fixed, or shall I get a flat screen TV? =A0Don't wa= nt to spend much, any bargain recommendations please?

The problem is arcing somewhere. Sometimes it can be fixed with nothing more than taking the back off and blowing the dust out. I'd recmmend doing that outside though.

NT

Reply to
NT