OT Trying to save pictures sent in a word type document

Hi all, I have been sent some Photos that seem to be imbedded in a document like word, I can right click on them and copy but not put them into Photoshop only a word document. I need them as jpeg files The only way I seem to be able to copy them is by using print screen or the snipping tool in Win 7 which often means losing part of the picture because it is displayed bigger that it would be in Photoshop. Plus they end up a low resolution. Is there a way of saving them better like it can with jpeg files? Mick.

Reply to
Mick

You can "Save As..." a file, and in my version of Word there is the option (just beneath "Save As") of "Save As a Web page..."

This produces a folder which has a file with the suffix .htm, and also versions of all the images used in the document. (Caveat: heaven knows what Word does with images once you insert 'em in a document, but my guess is you'll get the original images.)

Can you see that in your version?

John

Reply to
Another John

Open document. Save as HTML. That will save an html file and a folder full of images.

Reply to
polygonum

Bizarrely, many images used to be stored internally in PNG format. Well before Word was able to handle PNG images...

No idea what happens nowadays.

Reply to
polygonum

D'you know, I never knew you could do that! I've always done a right-click on the image, copy, open imaging program, file, new, edit, paste image, save image.

However, my first tries produced images of around 35kB from a 550kB picture I added to a Word document. Obviously, a lot of resolution has been lost. The old way produced a 550kB picture - but for some reason, apparently with a reduced number of colour levels. Further experimenting is needed.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

  1. Open Photoshop. File>New. Set the pixel size of the new file to something bigger than the image you want to copy. I usually use 3000 x
4000. The file will appear and will have nothing visible.
  1. Open Word. Adjust your windows so both Word and Photoshop are visible (I have two large screens. Tee hee). Left click on the image so it is selected. Click on it again and drag it into the blank Photoshop file. Use the trim tool to frame it (select the area you want then press return). Layer>Flatten image. The file will have the same pixel count as the version in Word. Save as *.jpg.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Or zoom in on the doc and take screenshots

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here's a bit of info about 2002/2003.

polygonum

Thank you both very much, all now done. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

You don't have to 'adjust' your window sizes as such in W7. If you just left click and hold on the topmost bar of one of your windows, and slide it as far left as it will go, it will snap to a half width image. Do the same for your other window, but slide it all the way to the right. You will then have two windows exactly side by side, and occupying exactly the whole screen between them. You can then drag and drop between them as much as you like.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

There can be resolution loss. In extremis set the screen resolution as high as it will go, temporarily. This gives horrible tiny icons and everything, but if you then fill the screen with whatever you want a screen shot of the resolution is better.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well I never knew that! Cheers! Mind you, those of use with two large screens don't really need to do that. (Tee hee)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

An annoying thing with the version of Linux I have now is if I do something like that it explodes into full screen more often than not. Pity that glitch works that way.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Have you tried dragging and dropping?

seems the docx file is a zipped archive and can be opened with a suitable tool, and the images ripped out....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed, .docx is a zip file. But the answer of saving as html works right back many versions of Word and includes .doc formats.

Reply to
polygonum

But you may lose resolution in the process.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try opening Paint, then right click on the picture and copy. Go to Paint and paste.

If it works, you can then save as a jpeg.

Reply to
Terry Casey