OT: travel to Croydon

Thanks for the information. I'm attending a trade show in London in a couple of weeks and didn't know I could use my contactless card on the tube. That makes life so simple.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

(see my final followup too)

Two of us had Oyster cards and the other two were prepared with contactless cards.

Not quite. If you have something like a Senior Railcard you can link to an Oyster card and get some extra discounts. You can't do that with the debit/credit card. That's really why I have one as I do travel in central London (but go direct by train).

I wondered about that and checked. You can top up the Oyster card and have it activated at supported National Rail stations, and that includes {East,West} Croydon. We would have used that for Plan D (see other post).

I agree. Even if there *are* ticket offices - look at Victoria Underground!

You don't swipe out on tram journeys (at least not on Tramlink) [1]! If you do, you're charged twice.

Yes, I have taken advantage of that. Three journeys seems to be the break point on tube and tram.

Thanks for all the advice.

[1] Apart from travelling to Wimbledon!
Reply to
Bob Eager

And cheaper. It's about half the price of a bought ticket. And capped at less than three journeys' worth.

Mind, if you are going in by train, a combined Travelcard can be cheaper.

Reply to
Bob Eager
[39 lines snipped]

Huge
[75 lines snipped]

Result!

Reply to
Huge

That is awesome - beat a barrister. That tale will be told around a pub table for decades to come.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Doubly so I hope after delivering him there with a fine demonstration of the JIT principle :)

But JOOI do you know why a hearing in Croydon rather than Ashford if the job was in Canterbury?

Reply to
Robin

Actually, the job was in Broadstairs...

The hearing was scheduled for Ashford, but they moved it last Friday. Hence the panic.

No idea why...but we got a good judge! Possibly they had an overrunning tribunal in Ashford and it was an operational problem.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably trying to discourage people attending so the case is dropped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But you have to register them with LT in order to be able to use them

[Snip]
Reply to
charles

I have had visitors use Contactless without registering them. And there's nothing at

to suggest it's compulsory.

That's not to say there aren't benefits from registering.

Robin

Oh, no you don't. I have used mine and have never registered. You can do so if you want, to enable getting a journey history.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1
Reply to
Stuart Noble

Just take care that if you have more than one contactless card in a card wallet or holder that the one you tap in with is the one that is read when you tap out. Same applies if you do happen to have an oyster and keep it next to the contactless card.

People had got into the habit of just placing the whole wallet on the readers, with the advent of contactless cards you really need to tap it individually as the system may read the wrong one which can cause problems like the journey timing out so you get charged a maximum fare or the journeys are spread over cards and don't reach the cap. Known as card clash. And don't switch cards in a day if you are doing a lot of traveling , the cap will only kick in if the system sees the same card has reached it, use another and that will be building up separately.

Pays to have a read of this.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

No you don't. Registering means you can view journey details on line and it makes sorting out any charging glitches easier but it is not compulsory.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Bugger, one less reason for not going to the stinking place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Huge

When I left my pass at home one day, I just used the first contactless card in my wallet. No problem - worked first time on the bus ...

Reply to
Terry Casey