OT: Top tip for bacon

If you want to cut the rind off, do it when the bacon is still frozen. It's much quicker.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why would you want to cut the rind off? The problem is finding bacon that still has its rind attached.

Reply to
Davey

I have a faddy customer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why would you freeze bacon anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

Bulk buying.

Reply to
Jonno

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

We always freeze it, we always then have some in stock. We buy fresh meat too and freeze that to have it in stock.

We have also stopped buying small joints of meat too. We buy the much bigger joints now and cut them down to our needs, then freeze them. It avoids the need to seek out a perfect size for our needs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I thought you were an aerial installer. Do you use the aerials as cooking racks? A new use for old installations!

Reply to
Davey

Fresh meat I might just understand, but bacon has already been treated to give it a decent life. But I do have shops round here. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I buy from a wholesaler.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes but I get three months' worth at a time. It's really good bacon as well. No water has been injected. When I used to get supermart bacon a load of water would come out when I cooked it, sometimes 30% of the weight.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

why is the bacon frozen in the first place?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

If its proper bacon it will last three months without freezing it.

Reply to
dennis

We buy the horrible wet stuff from the supermarket, then freeze it to extend the 'Use By' date. Must find a wholesaler!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or a local proper butcher who dry cures their own.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

But what's the point of risking it when I can store it in the freezer? I have lots of freezer capacity.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Freeze it in a cylindrical jumbled mess then slice when frozen at the end with a sharp chopper and it gives finely slivered stuff for cooking. [IMG]

F Murtz

F Murtz scribbled

A packet of bacon bits from Lidl would be ideal for that. But, you'd never get rid of the fat and rind.

Reply to
Jonno

Amazingly, to preserve the leftover rashers. Amazing that there are leftovers, of course.

We are lucky to have a real grocer who sells bacon cut to order using one of those wonderful old bacon slicer machines that go wish-wish as they slice.

Gorgeous back bacon, wifey usually buys a dozen rashers at a time. Leftover rashers go in the freezer, but, usually only being a couple of rashers, defrost quite quickly so a bacon sarnie is never far away.

Reply to
News

This is much cheaper if you get budget or on special bacon and also it is finer and as you say you can remove rind as I do before freezing.

Reply to
F Murtz

Because anything frozen never tastes as good as fresh.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)