OT - today's useless piece of information (sheds!)

Checking the spelling of 'pergola' for a crossword clue, and I found that it is the Latin for a shed. Thought you might like to know !

The challenge is now to include that in today's conversation somehow.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I thought sheds were invented by the English - there's something very Anglo Saxon about them. Maybe the romans just needed a name for the strange ramshackle buildings stuffed with useless crap that they found in the northern outposts of their empire.

Reply to
Anita Palley

Any particular flavour specified - B&Q, Homebase, etc.?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The word 'shed' is derived from 'shadde' recorded around 1480 and is possibly a variation of 'shade'. So I reckon you are spot on. Us English invented sheds - sorted.

What is the difference between a pergola and a gazebo BTW?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

================================== Be careful. Depending on context it can also mean 'brothel' among other possible translations.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

OY! You're talking about 'our 'ouse!!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You walk through a pergola to get to a gazebo.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Ahhh! Makes perfect sense! Thank you o wise one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman