OT timing belt replacement

I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda dealer from whom I originally purchased it new. The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now. Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something? Frank

Reply to
Frank

60,000 miles was suggested for my Citroen diesel. I will shortly be coming up to belt no 3.
Reply to
charles

Yes. You are using a main dealer to service a 4 year old car.

Reply to
ARW

It could be there is a time limit for belt replacement as well as a mileage one - whichever comes first. Such things can deteriorate without ever being used. Like say tyres. If you have a service book for the car, does it give details of what needs done at service time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's due on age at 4 years.

Personally, I'd change it soonish, 5 years at latest. Use and independent, not the dealer.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

well a little.

There is a finite chance the belt will let go and wreck the engine and if you are out of warranty that's a huge repair bill, and they don't want you suing them.

Driven reasonably and well maintained 6 years/60k miles is the general service interval.

So sign the thing and wait another year.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had two let go on me. Vauxhall Nova and Vauxhall Astra SRI. SRI IIRC at 80K and the Nova at 100K . Both happened at very low RPM and damage was limited to bent valves and broken rockers. £250 and £180 bills then

- it was a long time ago.

OTOH it can destroy an engine completely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Skoda have moved the goalposts. If you contact them with your registration number, they will tell you the new, lower figure. It's either a scam to create work for their dealers or belts are going faster than they thought. Your choice. I had mine done after 8 years/40k when my local garage had a special offer (two thirds the price of the Skoda dealer). I guess it adds to the resale value

Reply to
stuart noble

I also had a belt go on a Nova - pulling away from lights at very slow speed/revs. However, my belt went close to the recommended mileage. More modern cars seem to have a much longer recommended period between belt changes. the OP is asking it is wise to replace a belt at 30% of the recommended period.

A dealer asking a customer to sign a wavier that some (unnecessary) work has not been done smacks of sharp practice. It is an underhand method of scaring people with no knowledge of cars into parting with cash.

Reply to
alan

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

Reply to
alan

They're arse-covering. The official change period is 4 years/X miles, whichever is the soonest. They have a duty to tell him.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In message , Frank writes

50,000 miles seems to be the average replacement interval
Reply to
geoff

It depends on how much petrol is in the tank

Reply to
geoff

Certainly. These days they are very well respected.

Id certainly buy a S/H skoda if it fitted my needs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That might have worked in 1990.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"Can I have a set of wiper blades for my Skoda?"

"Sounds a reasonable swap..."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Timing belts often have a service interval specified in time and mileage... so it may be 150km or 4 years whichever comes first.

Reply to
John Rumm

Timing belt age is as important as mileage. I'd have it done rather than risk an engine with its internals rearranged when the belt gives up and valves meet pistons.

I've been given to understand that service intervals generally are set on the high side to keep the perceived costs down for the fleet market.

Having many years ago worked as a mechanic I would be very careful in selecting the right kind of workshop to undertake that job because with some it is a safer not to have the work done at all...

djornsk

^^^^this Make sure their insurance will cover it if they screw-up and it er screws-up.

Reply to
brass monkey