OT Thunderbird - Trial Post

Hi all

On the advice of a number of posters, I have installed Thunderbird on my new (works) Win 7 PC, to replace the now-retired Outlook Express.

One issue I haven't sorted is how to import messages in dbx files (the native file type for OE folders) - any hints anyone?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Yes. When you're installing it, you will be asked what you want to import. There is an option to import from OE.

After you've installed it:-

Tools > Import> Mail> Outlook Express.

It will also import Address Books and News accounts from Outlook Express..

Reply to
John Williamson

Does this help?

never had to do this, never having used a micrsoft mail client, ever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem there seems to be (if I have read the OP right) the old posts are on his old machine and Thunderbird is on his new one.

So might be best off doing that on the OLD PC, then moving the TB files over to the new PC.

Reply to
polygonum

Far be it for me to be negative, but I have been chasing a small problem that has suddenly appeared with my Turnpike email client and AVG antivirus.

In the process, I have visited the AVG forums and read the following about the total loss of emails in Thunderbird

one follows the links through, the message seems to be that this is a problem with compacting Thunderbird files, and the main cure seems to be "Try the beta of the next version (16) to see if that cures it".

I only use TB for gmail, so I'm probably oK, but it all looks a bit worrying to me.

Reply to
Bill

That would work, then use Mozbackup to backup the TB profile on the old machine to a USB stick and restore it on the new one. The TB versions don't matter much if you do that. Or use portable TB on a stick and transfer the profile to a new installation of TB.

I've not done it for a while, but ISTR it asks you where the OE files are, and then just gets on with it.

Reply to
John Williamson