OT: Thunderbird, 1and1 email and Win7

This is driving me crazy so any help much appreciated!

Existing machine is WinXP and, since Win95, I've always used Outlook Express. New machine is Win7 Ultimate and as the machine is 64-bit capable, it never gave me the choice on installation and defaulted to 64-bit install (don't know if that makes a difference though).

No Outlook Express available for Win7 so decided on Thunderbird - Win7 is new to me and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with it, Thunderbird is new to me and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with it, but I've been getting nowhere fast all day today.

I have my own domain name through 1and1.co.uk, which for ease of discussion we'll call xyz.com. I also have 1and1's "Instant Email" package so my email address is in the form of snipped-for-privacy@xyz.com and it's been working well on this XP machine for years.

I've DEFINITELY got the correct username, password and server settings. I know because I've checked on this XP/OE combination machine, and when paranoia set in I also checked my login details via 1and1 webmail - all good. However, the Thunderbird/Win7 combination, using the exact same login details, just will not let me access either the POP3 or SMTP servers at

1and1 - keeps telling me wrong password.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step walkthrough for setting up Thunderbird on Win7 please? And, just in case it makes a difference, I have email via my ISP (BT Internet) in the form of snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com which is correctly set up and working in TB/Win7, but for whatever reason, this 'domain name email' (for want of a better phrase) snipped-for-privacy@xyz.com fails each and every time.

TIA

Reply to
John

What happens if you follow these destructions, substituting snipped-for-privacy@xyz.com for snipped-for-privacy@1and1help.com ?

Andy Burns

address but the problem drove me to drink last night and I forgot to say that I tried it for both POP and IMAP. When trying IMAP it tells me I've got the wrong password, when trying POP it tells me that the account is not an IMAP server or some such thing.

I'll try your suggestion and I'll copy any error messages I get. I'm afraid I'd hit that wall last night that we all reach when we've had enough of going round in circles and you begin to lose objectivity. New day, new insight - hopefully :-)

Reply to
John

If you were comfortable with Outlook Express, then why not use Windows Mail? This will look hauntingly familiar.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

WLM may be OK for email (don't know, never used it) but it inflicts its damage on everyone when used for usenet, please don't do it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Windows Mail died with Vista and was not included with Windows 7. The replacement is Windows Live Mail, but the current version (15) is hopeless when replying to newsgroups as it does not insert the quote character ' > ' thus threads become difficult to follow. Version 14 of Live Mail is still available:

WLM2009 ver 14

can select which programs you want to install.)

Reply to
Dave-UK

OK, firstly no need to worry about Win7 in this case - it ought not make any difference.

So if you open a command prompt and type:

telnet pop3_server_name 110 USER username PASS password LIST

(substituting your server name, username and password - you may have to type the above without any local echo)

Does it work?

If it does, then go back to TB, and go through the manual account setup. Make sure you don't append a blank space to the end of any of the fields (had a customer who did this with a username the other day - problem was about 50% of the ISPs servers did not mind, and the other half barfed on it - making for a rather random experience when getting email!)

OK, lets take the easy one first. SMTP: you might find that your ISP does not support use of secure (i.e. encrypted) . Quite often (unless you do a completely manual setup in TB it will try these options).

Tools | Account Setup -> Add Mail Account

Enter details, click next

it will enter auto hunt mode for the servers etc. Click stop a few times until it gives up.

Set the incoming and out going server names Set the protocol to POP3, set the STARTTLS drop down to "None" for both send and receive. Make sure the port numbers are 110 for POP3 and 25 for SMTP. Finally Click the Manual Setup button.

This will create the account, and leave you in the account settings editor in case you want to tweak anything else.

If your ISP requires authentication on send, then check that in the SMTP server settings.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John and thanks for your reply. I can now say that Telnet works on the XP machine and gets me into 1and1's POP server where I find that the mailbox has 0 messages (0 octets). Using the exact same information to telnet from the Win7 machine gets me to the PASS but after entering the password it then says ERR - authentication failed.

Very puzzling!

Reply to
John

Sorry to reply to my own post but just to say - thanks everyone, it's now sorted. I ditched Thunderbird, took David WE Roberts advice to go for Windows Live Mail, and got V14 from Dave-UK's link. From initiating the download to working email took about 25 minutes, whereas I've wasted about 7 hours farting about with Thunderbird.

Cheers everyone - and Windows Live Mail rules :-)

Reply to
John

lol :)

Windows 7 _Utimate_ is a bit of an extreme choice towards microsoft, I must say. Make sure you run all of those MS applications you have paid for ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Except that out of the box, Win7 doesn't have a telnet client ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Really? when did they drop that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Win7 is the first version I'm aware of, perhaps they dropped it in Vista, but I wouldn't have noticed that. You *can* install a Microsoft telnet client under Roles&Features, but it's easier to just use PuTTY, then you don't need a replacement for hyperterm either ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I find it easier to do that stuff from Linux, instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find it easier to do most stuff from Linux, instead.

Reply to
Huge

It was actually given to me by a friend who's emigrated to NZ and gone over completely to Linux :-)

Reply to
John

No - I did have to google how to find it :-)

Reply to
John

Control Panel | Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off Click Telnet client, and then OK.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed - most likely cause would be mis-keying they password. I know you have now found a workaround for this, however for future reference, the way forward here would be to install Wireshark and capture the exchange between client and server. That way you can see byte for byte what gets sent and received.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good catch :)

Reply to