OT; Thunderbird

Hi Any knowledgeable people on Thunderbird out there?

Three problems;

There is a folder marked All Mail which now contains 44,000 odd messages. I've run a filter to delete any over 30 days old, but that just seems to have jammed up the system.

Messages don't stay in Inbox, they seem to vanish. Some end up in a folder Important.

It's very slow, possibly linked to the first problem.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
David Lang

You could unsubscribe from the Allmail folder, and then look at what is in the Inbox, Deleted, Spam etc folders, and keep only what you want/need. Move messages you want to keep from these to your Local Folders, to individual folders within that.

Reply to
Davey

Ta. How would I unsubscribe>

Reply to
David Lang

Presumably TMH didn't transfer the Thunderbird profile from the old machine to the new laptop? I think if you create a new profile, the defaults you get are all the latest whacky changes, including global inbox, I'd try disabling that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm a fellow sufferer but don't have any solutions. Each new version of Thunderbird seems to run slower than the previous ones, and they now issue updates almost every week.

For me, the notifications system seems completely broken: I get an audible alert and an icon in the status bar when I have no new mails, and then it doesn't provide either when there really is new email for me to read.

Reply to
Clive Page

In article , Davey writes

You could also ask in mozilla.support.thunderbird

Reply to
bert

Right-click on 'Inbox', and that will open up a dialogue box. Hit 'Subscribe', and go from there.

Reply to
Davey

I'm not sure that everyone has access to that, it depends on your server, I believe, and many don't, as it is supposed to be a subscription service. But he could try, certainly. It is a more appropriate place.

Reply to
Davey

You're supposed to access it via that way everyone has direct access, any other server that carries the group is not doing so with Mozilla's blessing ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Doesn't with mine. right click on Inbox, then click on properties and select the retention page gives you control over how long messages are kept.

The subscribe option only appears after right click on my newsfeeds or newsgroups.

Reply to
Andrew

snip

Different versions might well have different settings. If you have a way that works, that's what matters.

Reply to
Davey

People laugh at me for using Outlook Express. It's sooooooooo easy to use.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire