OT Those PMR personal radios

Page 2 of 2

No help, but from what I remember, US bought ones are illegal in the UK (I had some, but didn`t get <cough> caught using them)
[dot]co[dot]uk says...

I bought the Motorola MR610 twin pack from there. The batteries supplied with the units are 4 AAAs, wrapped in plastic. The battery compartment is marked out for AAA batteries, so I suspect you could put AAA NiMh batteries in instead.
I asked about the usefulness of these radios in a skiing group, and no one said anything about them being illegal in France. This site may help: http://www.cix.co.uk/~hdh/pmr446/pmr446.htm
--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk /
666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote:

Couldn't they open a pack and take a look?

According to the Maplin catalogue (p12) "These radios can be used in most of Europe..." but if anyone's going to be difficult it'd have to be the French :-)
Three thoughts. First, unless it says so, I'd assume NiCd not MiMH, though many are likely to use standard-sized batteries and I'd assume you could swap them if you really want.
Second, Argos, of all places, has a good range of PMR446: page 826-827 in the Autumn/Winter 2003 catalogue. In particular, SIX Oregon Scientific radios with rechargers for less than 120. That's just 20 each. These radios "looked" better to me than the other six-pack (Binatone, 99.50) but I haven't used either. (OS also available as 2-pack for <45)
Thirdly, have you considered CB? (Much) more expensive sets (though there are some good second hand places around such as "Knights CB") and an annual licence required (from Post Office), *but*
* 40 of the 80 channels available in this country are licenced across Europe (PMR446 only has 8 channels)
* "installation" is possible including external aerials in houses / cars (PMR446 radios must have internal aerials)
* the output power is greater (4W -v- 500mW) and a lower frequency (27MHz) which means that the range is greater - more like 3 miles rather than 3km, not so dependent on line-of-sight, and even more for an installed set with a nice external aerial.
* They are less and less popular, so 80 channels doesn't often get crowded.
The only problem with CB is the ancient die-hard abusers of the system who sit at home or in their cars pumping out hundreds of Watts and swearing at all-comers. They do tend to stick to their own channels though.
Just some thoughts...
Hwyl!
M.
"Martin Angove" wrote | > My other niggle is over frequency used [446MHz]. If I got them, | > they'd probably be used in France more than in the UK. I have | > this faint memory that the frequency used in the UK is illegal | > for such use in France? | Thirdly, have you considered CB? (Much) more expensive sets (though | there are some good second hand places around such as "Knights CB") | and an annual licence required (from Post Office), *but* | * 40 of the 80 channels available in this country are licenced | across Europe (PMR446 only has 8 channels)
AIUI only 40-channel CEPT sets are legal in France, and the UK 27/81 band is being withdrawn in this country soon anyway.
Owain

Not that that will make the slightest difference to it's users.
France used to disallow the European wide 446 usage on channels 1 and 2 but now all 8 are allowed in France.
Nick
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:23:48 -0000, "Owain"

For values of "soon" of the order of 10 years.
--
Niall

They are now doing a 4-pack of Oregon Scientific, with two twin desktop chargers and batteries, for less than 40.
Pretty much a low-risk purchase at the price:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId 001&catalogId01&langId=-1&searchTermsU30094

Looks very much buy that cheap, buy many times....
--
Tony Sayer

"tony sayer" wrote | >They are now doing a 4-pack of Oregon Scientific, with two twin | >desktop chargers and batteries, for less than 40. | Looks very much buy that cheap, buy many times....
Statutory rights should give you a year's use at least.
Even if it breaks 1 day after that year and you replace it (assuming at the same price), after four years you'll have paid 4 x 10 = 40 per unit.
If you bought a 40 unit to start off with, it would still be out of guarantee after a year, and I'd be surprised if it lasted four years taking into account none of them - apart from the Motorola semi-pro and the like - look very substantial, and the likelihood of dropping/loss/theft.
Owain

Quite honestly, I can't see how anyone can turn their nose up at four units for 40.

The units we've been using for the past 15 months are an earlier Oregon Scientific model, but very similar to the ones now on offer[*]. They have been dropped several times, and, in one case, accidently immersed in water. All continue to work perfectly.
[*] I've just been to my local Argos for a set. They took my money, but then found that they were out of stock, so I got a more expensive Binatone quad-pack for the lower price.
The only reason for the change was the more convenient pair of twin chargers, and the old sets can be given away or kept spare. The new sets will have paid for themselves by the end of January at the latest.
irlingcity.co.uk> writes

Humm....perhaps we have more demanding than most customers. Some of these units we have trailed haven't lasted a week even.
Now how many on here would spend sod all on tools they use for work?....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

True, but the difference is between something just above toy status, and a business item that can be capitalised and written down over three years. For a 'take it on holiday' item that OS set look hard to beat (wish I'd seen it b4 Xmas), but business would probably have Icom or Motorola sets or properly licensed on site PBR sets using 459/161 MHz.
--
Toby.

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:32:30 +0000, 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk (Simon Gardner) wrote:

There isn't a lot of difference between the two technologies, NiCd has slightly poorer energy/weight but on the other hand lasts about for about 2 to 3 times the number of charges. Quite a few use standard AA or AAA batteries (Cobra and Goodmans for example) so you can pick your own batteries.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Thankyou but as far as I am concerned there is - hysteresis with NiCads in particular. I never want to see another NiCad.

Try a post uk.rec.radio.cb These have been covered lots of times.
Dave

Simon Gardner wrote:

Slightly related, but I understand the mobile phone companies are looking at push-to-talk technology.
It will work using voice over GPRS. You "connect" to the other handset over GPRS GSM anywhere in the country, but you only pay for the amount of time you actually talk (because you only occupy the network while data is being transmitted or received over GPRS). Silent time is free.
Handsets capable of this are supposedly coming soon...

There was some very last minute re-drafting of the mobile-phone-whilst-drving law to ensure PTT mobiles were covered as well as "traditional" mobiles.