OT This why we need renewable energy.

harry

You want renewable smog? Don't they have that already?

Reply to
Tim Streater

A few years back somebody very politically incorrectly came up with a variation on the old treadmill idea from penal colonies of the past, where prisoners were used to generate electricity by peddling bikes for a time in shifts. Somehow I feel this would be rather inefficient from the energy point of view as presumably feeding the prisoners would take more energy than could be generated. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But aren't you going to feed them anyway?

UK Prison population approx 85,000, a resonably fit person pedling at a rate they can sustain ought to be able to produce about 100 W. So

8.5 MW but with eating and sleeping and an 8 hour shift pattern only 1/3 of that, at very best, would be avialable. Then there would be "un-fit" for what ever reason perhaps you might get 25%? or about 2 MW?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No it's not. It's why we need nuclear energy!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

India's pollution problem has nothing to do with how we should generate energy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You'd have to feed them more. Such atheliets have specail diets too.

Were did you get that figure I heard 80w average for an hour.

I'd suggest we make it an olympic event why waste money on a velodrome when all you really need is a bike stand and a watt meter. Our team GB would also be doing something useful while training/practicing.

Although I'm not sure providing a certain Mr Armstrong or others with free drugs would make it economically viable.

Reply to
whisky-dave

+1
Reply to
Nightjar

Vastly more Brian.

First of all the conversion rate of sunlight to crops - food - is about 1%.

And that's to burnable cellulose, which we cant digest, so in a typical veggie diet, most of that goes out as shit.

Or we can get cows to turn it into good meat, but that's another huge loss of energy along the way.

And then mostly muscles turn it into heat..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you could capture the resulting methane, that would help by maybe 0.5 % or so. Every little helps, they say.

Reply to
Davey

But if we hang them istead of feeding them, their energy consumption reduces to almost zero so we have a win/win situation!

Reply to
Capitol

The pollution comes from the factories producing solar panels.

Reply to
alan_m

Western countries have very strict rules about pollution. In any case pollution is nothing to do with renewable energy. C02 is not a pollutant. It is essential for life.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

We no longer have smog like that, unfortunately the clean air has resulted in a temperature rise and some idiots have capitalised on that by making nonsense claims about a global warming catastrophe.

Reply to
dennis