OT: This could make a few windmills redundant

Not on a monosoupape rotary it doesnt.

That engine was as I prdicted yours would be, almost completely useless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, harry lies again. Read the detail: that was not a single valve engine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BSA, Triumph, Norton 750s could quite routinely turn in 60mpg consumption figures -when not thrashed.

My much later Suzuki GS850 can turn in 60mpg - when ridden exactly the same way. Two more cylinders, capable of at least twice the power, twin cams, very short stroke compared to the old snotters.

Nothing magic about the long stroke engine, but plenty of downsides.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

light bikes. Apples and oranges. qan 850 mini driven carefull could do te same.

Not magic, but with crude engineering a bit easier to get the thng optimised.

You make the point, later models of bikes with *superior engineering* got the same results.

teh faily switched freom a simngle SU equppped austin 1000 to a ford Escort MkI 1100. The average consumption on the BMC was >50mpg, and certainly at least 40mpg. The Ford was barely able to achieve 40mpg even driven carefully.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Ford Escort had a fuel consumption in the range 37-42mpg but what was that miraculously economical Austin? I can't find any trace of any BMC car of that era which would do substantially better than the Escort.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Do read what you're linking to, Harry. That article says there were 2 valves per cylinder.

Yup, and one of the valves was mounted in the piston.

Reply to
John Williamson

Gas mantles are radio active.

Reply to
harryagain

The size of any energy converting machine is irrelevant with regard to power or efficiency.

It's the practical difficulties are the problem.

Reply to
harryagain

Being two stroke is not the same as having no conventional valves. Some do some don't.

Heh heh. Monosoupage is French for one valve TurNiP. They were very common at one time.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, they contain thorium oxide, which is a stable compound that doesn't dissolve in water. So your point is what, precisely?

Reply to
Tim Streater

So finally you got something right.

Of course so too are human beings. Better not have sex harry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

harry nodding off again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Er no, it isn't

that translates as a single soupage.

They were not unless you happenened to be flying WWI aircraft.

Oh dear still digging?

Do you really think you dont look an utter prat to everybody here?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just because the marketing department called them "Single valve" doesn't make it true. Read the article again, and you will find there are two, count 'em again to be sure, that's *two* valves per cylinder. One in the head and one in the piston.

(Adds reading and comprehension of written Engish to the skills that Harry is proved to lack)

Reply to
John Williamson

He can't even cut and paste 'monosoupape'

I can only imagine that hary is a sort of a one eyed man in a pub full of total morons, and impresses themn by repeating factoids he spends all day researching.

'Do you know, there is no proper name for the back of the knees'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IOW you either either don't know or don't want to admit what the performance of the car was.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

and he doesnt realise that efficiency is very much related to size as well

its very hard to make an efficient gas turbine at model scales.

Although you CAN make one that works..

Its very hard to make an efficent flying horsefly with a 100meter wingspan as well..

but they do OK at 5mm span

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't usually see the need to reply to myself but since TFP has ignored this message I was just wondering if he had at long last begun to take the advice that when you are in a hole you should stop digging. Responding to a message does of course raise its profile so a little bit of self restraint will see a lot less attention paid to potentially embarrassing utterances. Not that TFP seems at all embarrassed by the rubbish he spouts from time to time or by his failure to bother proof reading much of his output.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

WTF is TFP? and what was that about proof reading?

Reply to
John Rumm

TFP = The Fake Philosopher (Prone to spout cant rather than Kant).

And don't tell me that you haven't noticed that TFP frequently fails to write in intelligible English. There is a mild example of his usual output above but it is sometimes almost totally incomprehensible.

Reply to
Roger Chapman