OT: Thin granite layer on existing laminate - any good?

This is sort of DIY since I fitted the current worktops, which I'm starting to assume have been knackered by the oven cleaner (ref my other question). I'm starting to wonder whether I should replace with Granite rather than like-for-like. Has anyone tried cladding the existing laminate worktop with thin granite (seen it advertised in the past but can't find it now)?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Granite will stain much more easily than laminate. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

NoSpam wibbled on Wednesday 14 October 2009 08:45

Google for "Granite Transformations" - that's one company in my area.

The neighbour had it done and it does look good.

It's not cheap though - a medium/large kitchen might be in the region of a couple of grand. Having said that, it's about half the price of solid granite tops.

Reply to
Tim W

We've had Granite for 4 years and not seen that problem.

What I see on TV ads for the thin granite over existing worktop is that the units gain a couple of Cms in height and presents a very thick clumsy looking edge.

Proper granite is much cheaper than it used to be.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thanks!

Reply to
NoSpam

We've had granite worktops for more than ten years and there is no staining whatsoever.

Edward

Reply to
Edward

Granite doesn't stain. Marble does but it isn't used for worktops.

mark

Reply to
mark

It is by some people. Scratches as well as staining, apparently - even just by putting pots down on it.

I don't think it had been the best choice ever made ...

Reply to
jsabine

I was talking to the proprieter of a marble/granite company. He said their most popular granite for work-tops was black granite but that it was the least practical because it shows every water mark.

Marble is porous and can be quite soft, especially the white Carrara marble. I was cleaning up some slabs carrara and found that it could be carved with a pressure washer.

mark

Reply to
mark

Eh? It's pretty well impervious.