OT The Vulcan Bomber

Doubt it if fighters, too many windows would get broken. B-)

Was out in Bahrain just before Gulf War I, staying in same hotel as the Tornado pilots. Camels are apparently a hazard in the desert at

500mph...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , tony sayer writes

The hardening specs for aircraft electronics really are far less demanding than those for other battlefield electronics and it is due to their relative fragility and likelihood of physical survivability.

The course I was on was quite comprehensive :-)

Reply to
fred

North Devon where I have spent a lot of time used to get quite a thump from the Sonic boom as some of the services westbound passed by out to sea. It wasn't a direct bang but distant a boom like faraway thunder, enough to rattle the odd window disturb pheasants and make some grockles jump. It became part of the background noise like distant church bells and was a useful peg that marked the passing of the day. Boom," ah there goes the 18.30 must be time for tea" sort of thing. Now as much a lost sound of the past as copper phone wires humming in the wind One perfectly cloudless spring day I remember observing the early evening flight from london to JFK while lying against a rock on Lundy Island with a pair of decent binoculars, The afterburner glow was easily seen as it accelerated 1000's of feet above the Bristol channel.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

John Rumm scribbled...

Neither was David Morgan's.

Reply to
Jabba

Tim Streater scribbled...

Instead he lost frigates & destroyers...

Reply to
Jabba

I've got this in my software manuals as an interesting piece of trivia.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

ARW scribbled...

Peanuts

$79,100 bid lands seat on Lancaster bomber Europe trip

Reply to
Jabba

The Victor lot did more than that, fortunately the experienced pilot saved it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Only the boom? Ocasionaly heard it when I lived in Bristol and had the windows open, on still summer evenings. A gentle B-Boom, I doubt many people noticed it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Was thinking about one of them this past weekend with the D day 70 commemorations taking place. For the 50th anniversary event the SS Jeramiah O'Brien made the Atlantic crossing and visited a couple of UK Ports before going across to Normandy. It was the only large ship of the original D Day invasion fleet to return . I had a good look around it in Southampton. The average age of the crew was about 70 comprised of veterans who had served on similar ships at the time with a few younger personnel helping in the background. Most will no longer be around now. Another ship was supposed to come across but I cannot recall if it was the other working Liberty ship John W Brown or the Victory ship which was a later design which following the weaknesses discoverd by adapting a British design for mass production which was the Liberty modified it further to give a stronger and faster ship. In the end neither made the journey across.

Other bits of Liberty are about ,Greece got the last one available from the US reserve a few years back to act as a non working museum in honour of how their merchant fleet expanded using them. And of course there is still the Richard Montgomery lying in the Thames Estuary full of corroding munitions to which the authorities have applied the asbestos solution, if we don't disturb it, it will probably be ok.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

We have a light fitting that despite adjustment starts rattling way before either of us can hear the machines themselves,and it rattles differently between the Chinooks and the others. If I could remember where we got it I could obtain more and sell em at Farnborough to poor 3rd world countries who can't afford decent radar systems.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And todays Teenagers can see them on the Eurovision Song Contest.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribbled...

We've still got the SS Richard Montgomery parked off Sheerness...

Reply to
Jabba

Um....I think he said that...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reminds me of the time I had a flight in a Short 330, which had the feel of being little more than a Leyland National with wings.

Boiled sweets were handed round before take-off and landing, intended to promote swallowing and hence ease the discomfort on our ears. Being unpressurised they couldn't gain much height to get above the weather.

The interior trim panels were covered with sticky-backed plastic, and, as the plane gained height, little bubbles appeared as it lifted off the backing. On descent, it all shrank back again.

It amused me that the flight deck was so small that each pilot had his own sliding door, through which his in-flight cuppa was duly passed.

Touching on elderly aircraft, there was a time when I had a few flights between EMA and Glasgow, operated in those days by Viscount.

The plane(s) had clearly been around - the passenger switch labels had obviously been bilingual, with the foreign text edited by angle grinder.

They must originally have been constructed with a small first class area forward of a pair of toilets. Its size meant that, even though it was a single class operation, they couldn't really squeeze in extra seats, so this was the place to head for ample legroom. Even better were the large windows with a view clear of the wing.

I would happily never fly again, but these trips did at least give a good view from a comfortable seat.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On 09 Jun 2014, bert grunted:

Yep, I went on it once too. Got to sit in seat 1A - the Queen's seat - and even got a full tour of the cockpit as well...

...would have been even better if we'd been in the air, rather than at Manchester Airport Aviation Park. :(

Reply to
Lobster

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

transitors.

Nowadays it is hard to impress any teenagers as they have little interest in anything mechanical. They are more impressed by Apple introduding a new colour for the iPad. They have little concept of the struggle to make things work.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They're still flippin' impressive and rather noisy, though.

Wasn't that the year the Russians tried a similar trick with their SST and splatted it on the runway?

Reply to
John Williamson

My sons school seem to have got this right. Their science teacher (or maybe DT? Can't remember) seems to have an engineering background and appears to have contacts within Rolls Royce. He has a collection of things, including a jet turbine blade from a harrier engine and other similar things.

They then go on trips to places like Duxford and get a custom tour to see the bits of engineering in real planes etc.

They are also building a race car (different teachers) - Kids had to get sponsorship from local companies to get the money for the kit, they now hace the chassis running. Next they need to work out ways of building a body ready for racing next year.

I've sent in a few bits of fibre from work (128 core bundles) and that's now part of the physics work - teaching refraction and total internal reflection is easier when you've got some real world cable in front of you (and some lasers to play with :-)). Tying that into the "this is how your broadband works" and "this fibre to the cab thing you all know about, here is some fibre" really brings the science into context.

I think it's lack of good teachers that's the main issue, not the lack of teenagers interest...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Less opportunity to take things apart partly to blame as well as not so many mechanical things to observe. I can recall being fascinated by the cogs on my Grans mangle,must have been about 3 years old and was told "don't put your fingers on those" An Auto washing machine is a bit boring in comparison . There is hope though,My Nephew was steadily going along the flow of the school system Secondary education >sixth form college >aim for University without really knowing why. Some years ago I dumped all my old stuff from our loft on him which included a train set and he got an unfashionable interest in railways. Joined the junior section of one of the preserved ones and found that metal work was more interesting than shoveling coal and was taught by an experienced bloke to cut, weld use a plasma cutter etc . This stood in him in good stead when it was decided that hanging in to qualify for university was not appropriate due to lack of interest so he applied for an engineering apprenticeship instead. Got offered a place on his first interview which is quite an achievement now days. His " Hobby" with an ability to show work done plus a reference from the railway was invaluable. The interview was no pushover taking about 5 hours with team building exercises,making a presentation ,solving problems and exhibiting examples of ones work.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg