OT The Olympic Games

And would provide Greece with a useful means of income even if it's just keeping people employed to maintain it - we'll assume it would be put to other uses inter-games.

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I was at York Uni, I was firmly corrected by a Mackam and told in no uncertain terms that Yorkshire was "southern".

We also discovered Mackams do not like being called Geordies.

Reply to
Tim Watts

well theres a downside to everything..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My best 100m was 13.6 seconds - I was never a competitor there -just part of the background noise out of which champions rise

It doesn't mean you don't compete in other things

Reply to
geoff

If there were not those who pushed the envelope, who wanted more, we'd still be running and climbing trees to escape the tigers

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Streater writes

It gives some people inspiration

Reply to
geoff

That is class. May I steal it for a .sig?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I'm 48 and I took it, but then Lincolnshire still has the 11+ today (and Kent too?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Of course. But only people who have been to Worksop will understand it:)

And regarding the olympics and all the negative input.

IMHO it's the negative input into life that is turning this country downhill.

I may be the only person on this newsgroup that is prepared to say that I am proud to live in the UK and I am proud that we are hosting the games and I also want the games to be a success.

The games are not perfect (they cannot be as McDonalds are invloved) but what is perfect?

If everything in the world was perfect then everyone and everything would be the same forever and nothing would change.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have paid the price for having a bank account. It is called working for 46 years. Looking back I sometimes wonder if it was all worth it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Oh come now, do you suppose only visitors to Slough can enjoy Betjeman and his friendly bombs?

Ta very much,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The money? You'll find it was worth it alright. That stuff talks, you know. Problem is, if you get used to not spending money the kids will eventually have a field day ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

I just see it as unfortunate that "corporate" sees to have totally taken over

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
Clive George

Kent too. Oh yes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, working for 46 years. I am more or less burnt out now. Yet, I know a bloke who has never worked thus he is in better condition than me. I once called him a wanker. He replied, "The world turns and I am still here".

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You could end it right now:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You might. I'd be inventing the gun so I could kill it from the comfort of my sofa! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ironic or unfortunate? It's McDonalds and coke-a-cola FFS:-)

Now for some reason these two have the money to pay for the olympics. I call that ironic.

Seems that they have beaten the rest of the competition.

That makes them gold winners. It spoils the olympic ideal with a big fat grease stain and a load of sugar, but who cares? These two firms are better than everyone else in the world at selling s**te.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Does my name need to be in the your sig?

Reply to
ARWadsworth