OT The Olympic Games

Is it only me who considers the Games to be a huge waste of money, another f*ck up waiting to happen and that the money could have been better spent on the NHS? I live in the north and will not see a penny of where my money has been spent.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I am bored with it already. And it hasn't even started.

Or has it? Oh, don't tell me. I couldn't care less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should worry. Stratford is between me and London. People who live in the London area are going to have a nightmare with closed lanes, closed roads, public transport even more overloaded than usual etc. Those living in the area which was supposed to be improved seem to have been most put out.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

It hasn't but people have started arriving and the chaos has started.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I'm still wondering if there are going to be confused foreign tourists in the other Stratford wondering where the stadium is...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Mr Pounder writes

Its a corporate money orgy

Reply to
geoff

Too right.

I live in London., I don't see it as a benefit.

Reply to
djc

And it is indirectly getting even more of our money than may initially be obvious. Atos is a sponsor, sorry - partner, for the Olympics & Paralympics. But they get a huge wodge of money from the DWP for doing medical assessments on DLA claimants - which these days seem to have extraordinarily high levels of successful appeals.

Reply to
polygonum

I actually went to see the torch pass, the wife decided that as it will never happen again we may as well see what the fuss was about. I was underwhelmed as I expect the 30 or so other people standing there watching. The BBC reported thousands turned out so I guess they were somewhere else.

Reply to
dennis

I thought I would be standing alone with my posting.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Bloody joke. In Leyton nobody could pick their kids up from school by car. Had they waited a week, the schools would have broken up.

Reply to
stuart noble

I think they were all in Huddersfield. The police estimate for attendance was about 40,000 so based on their figures from demos I guess that makes it about two million or so.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I've never understood why anybody would be fascinated by the fact that some people can run faster than others, jump higher, or hit a ball with more accuracy.

Reply to
Bert Coules

In message , Bert Coules writes

You mean a desire to be the best

watching the best compete to see who is the best of the best?

People need heroes

Why they should choose corporate sponsors who represent the total opposite of the olympic ideal, why half the roads in london should close, why the only beer allowed on site isn't even british etc

Thats where I have a problem

Reply to
geoff

No, you're not. It's a load of corporate money grabbing bollocks. I find it rather tasteless that in these times of fatties everywhere, an event that is about sport, and one would hope help to promote health and fitness is sponsored/owned by McDonalds and Coca-Cola. They can f*ck right off.

Reply to
Mike P

Well yes in some ways of course. Unfortunately, most of the decisions were taken in times of plenty. Hindsight is wonderful and if you have a time machine then best rent it to the next Government, mind you they would probably leave it on a train.

I reckon this group should declare itself an Olympics free zone from Friday.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That would seem unlikely.

Possibly, but then again it might all go swimmingly.

Ah, a f*ck up that has already happened?

Not directly, but there is a fair chance there will be indirect benefit. (GB "brand" awareness (assuming aforementioned f*ck up does not create the wrong sort of awareness!)

Reply to
John Rumm

No.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I wonder if there is a link between those of us who 'do' versus those of us who like to watch other people doing (no, not dogging as such).

Like, I like cycling, archery, canoeing, sailing and rowing but I'm not particularly interested in watching other people doing the same.

Neither do I see any of them as 'My' heroes. There will always be someone who can run or swim faster than someone else .

And as for someone who happens to be able to kick a ball getting paid as much and being seen as some sort of deity ... that's a game, for the park, with your mates, jumpers for goalposts etc.

And without those of us who do what we do for fun, how would those who are at the top of their game look then?

And as for any of the getting knighthoods etc ...

Thank goodness I've also got a couple of motorbikes to use as and when the local roads get gridlocked (well, more than usual).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hmm, well, I nearly got involved with blind archery, but all that pulling back of the bow did my elbow in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff