OT The meter reader cometh

|On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:48:50 UTC, Dave Fawthrop | wrote: | |> And all governments have done a lot about reducing that as well. |> Enforcing speed limits | |To make money.

It actually saves lives | |> putting in traffic calming measures | |Which can have a negative impact on road safety

Which save lives

|> and improving the treatment of victims | |Closing A&E departments. | |Yes.

Have you been in an A&E dept lately? All high tech in order to save more lives.

You snipped the reduction in death rates from 22 to less than 10 in my memory. while traffic has increased massively.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:48:50 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop wrote this:-

There is a very long way to go before those killed by motorists are of the same order of magnitude as those killed by those criminals who happen to be called terrorists by some.

Reply to
David Hansen

Except that it's now twice as far to travel..costing some lives.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 17 Sep 2006 14:18:35 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

A difficult one to answer. It might be that better staffed A&E departments are not simply the wet dream of producer interests, but do save lives despite the extra distances involved. I'm not convinced at the moment though, in much the same way as I'm not convinced that large control rooms without local knowledge are a step forward.

What is clear is that a lot of "road safety" improvements are nothing of the sort, but are rather improvements made by the medical mob.

Reply to
David Hansen

If you actually arrive at A&E alive enough to be saved. Our nearest A&E is the best part of 30 miles away and the other side of a city. An hour or more in the back of an ambulance. Anything serious requires the use of the *charity* funded Air Ambulance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. Disastrous experience that I would not care to repeat.

To a point, but service and environment exceeded in the third world. Not at all impressive.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|On 2006-09-17 13:41:45 +0100, Dave Fawthrop | said: | |> On 17 Sep 2006 12:03:22 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote: |> |> |Closing A&E departments. |> | |> |Yes. |> |> Have you been in an A&E dept lately? | |Yes. Disastrous experience that I would not care to repeat. | | |> All high tech in order to save more lives. | |To a point, but service and environment exceeded in the third world. |Not at all impressive.

Having availed myself of A&E services twice this year, I had absolutely excellent service. Ambulance Service was top notch a well. Neither could have been bettered :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I guess that you haven't been around much....

Reply to
Andy Hall

|On 2006-09-17 18:56:34 +0100, Dave Fawthrop | said: | |> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:57:40 +0100, Andy Hall wrote: |> |> |On 2006-09-17 13:41:45 +0100, Dave Fawthrop |> | said: |> | |> |> On 17 Sep 2006 12:03:22 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote: |> |> |> |Closing A&E departments. |> |> | |> |> |Yes. |> |> |> Have you been in an A&E dept lately? |> | |> |Yes. Disastrous experience that I would not care to repeat. |> | |> | |> |> All high tech in order to save more lives. |> | |> |To a point, but service and environment exceeded in the third world. |> |Not at all impressive. |> |> Having availed myself of A&E services twice this year, I had absolutely |> excellent service. Ambulance Service was top notch a well. Neither |> could have been bettered :-) | |I guess that you haven't been around much....

Only 70 years ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Watch out for the next ones....