OT The lottery and apprentices

Apprentice swears blind his grand parents won the lottery 30 years ago (well £250,000) as he spent £10 on scratch cards this morning.

Reply to
ARW

And it only started in 1994 .......

How time flies

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Maybe he's part foreign?

Reply to
Andy Burns

ARW scribbled...

Irish Lottery? That's been around for well over 40 years. IIRC the tickets used to sold under the counter in some shops.

Reply to
Jabba

Reply to
R D S

Ah. One of the voluntary taxpayers?

Reply to
harryagain

The Pools?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That would be my guess. Not many people seem to have heard of them these days, although they are still going.

Reply to
Nightjar

I would have thought that he has his dates wrong as I can remember working with a bloke who's wife had also won ?250,000 on the lottery in 1996 and IIRC, that was about two years after the lottery started.

Reply to
Unbeliever

1985/1986 IIRC
Reply to
dennis

Definitely around '94 - 20yrs ago, so - to apprentice - "before I was born"... I was working with a bloke whose father was on a lot of the progs when it first got started, as a "professional lottery winner". He sorted us a "guaranteed" scheme. We paid a fuckload in, and got about 20p out. I've very rarely bought any tickets since. Mind you, one of the few times I did, I got four numbers and won £90.

Reply to
Adrian

Dennis@home scribbled...

Looked it up - it was the Irish Hospitals' Sweepstake which dates back to pre war.

Dunno how big the prizes were.

Reply to
Jabba

Was it going that long ago? Doesn't time fly.

Does he not realise the actual odds these days? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I believe the Spanish one is run by the local blind association or used to be at any rate. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

When I was working for GEC in the Elstree Way building just off the A1 (recently demolished), another GEC company (GEC Traffic Automation?) was just next to us - indeed I used to go bowling with some of them. They had a Pools syndicate, and won. Not sure what sum they won, but it was enough for several of them to stick up two fingers to their management and walk out of their jobs. (Sadly, it was also the end of our bowls team.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Whilst casually browsing the shared drive, back when I was working, I found a file entitled "Escape Plan". It was a shop floor departmental lottery syndicate agreement, and one clause stated that, for any win more than a specified amount, they were all to resign.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

When the lottery started such syndicates were very common and ISTR that some getting insurance against such an event was advised for businesses. Even money can't actually make anything though so a small business making something unusual which requires particular skills in the workforce could be brought to its knees. The biggest losers in such a scenario and it may have happened would the odd employee who wasn't in the syndicate.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

My parents bought their first house with a Pools win of IIRC £5,000.

Reply to
Nightjar

A few jobs ago, we had a lottery syndicate. The management always used to say they hoped we never won big, because everyone would leave. IIRC, we never won anything (other than the occasional £10 which went back into the pot.)

Reply to
Huge

I believe you can actually buy insurance against that !

Reply to
Jethro_uk