OT: The Life Scientific

The yeast is underneath the flour. How else d'ye think I can then set a delay on the breadmaker starting its work. You need to keep the water and yeast separate until the mixing starts, and the flour is a convenient way of enforcing that.

Our Panasonic's user guide says add yeast, flour, water in that order. The older one that we had said do it in the opposite order, go figure.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, but the bit you snipped was talking about decanting some of the water that you add too much of so it is actually easier to be careful when adding the last of the water so you don?t add too much and then need to get some of it out.

Reply to
john james

I didn't snip anything of consequence.

You now appear to be claiming that its "easier" to pour water into the tin, decant some of it, and then "carefully" add some more, than it is to weigh the water beforehand in a separate container, decanting or adding as necessary without any need to be "careful" at all.

michael adams

michael adams

My Breville says to add the water first and when the seal died after a while I changed over to adding the water last so that it wouldn?t get into the seal. When I replaced that tin with a new one I kept adding the water last and haven't had a seal failure since. Maybe that was the reason Panasonic changed their order.

Reply to
john james

You did actually on that question of what is easier.

No, I am saying that the easiest thing to do is add the water to the tin which already has the breadmix in it carefully with the last of the water so you don?t ever have to decant any water at all.

Reply to
john james

If you have to add the water "carefully" how can that possibly be "easier" than measuring it beforehand in a separate container where you don't need to measure it carefully at all ?

In fact come to think about it, it would probably be easier to weigh out all the ingrediants separately in their own containers beforehand. Then you could put the scales away and they wouldn't be cluttering up the worktop before you even got the breadmaker out, and you wouldn't be switching from one task to the other .

michael adams

michael adams

It?s a lot easier to add it more slowly with the last of the water than tipping some out and then adding some more to the separate container.

That's mad with the breadmix, its easer to weigh that into the tin instead of its own container and then tip that into the tin.

Then you could put the

I don?t get either of them out or put either of them away. The breadmaker sits on the end of the very long workbench with the digital scales beside it.

The breadmix is in one of the sliding top plastic rubbish bins, done like that to mice can't get to it and that stands on the floor in just off to the side of the breadmaker.

I don?t switch from one task to the other, I take the tin out of the breadmaker, put it on the digital scales that are next to the breadmaker, weigh the breadmix into the tin, tare the scales, weigh the water into the tin, putting the last of the water more slowly so I never put in too much water. Then add the yeast, put the tin back in the breadmaker and turn the breadmaker on.

Reply to
john james

Last of the water the recipe calls for.

My tap has an infinite amount in

Reply to
john james

Last of the water? Last of what water? My tap has an infinite amount in it so you can't mean that. Oh, you mean the water I've carefully measured out in a marked beaker (not Ed Milliband) adding or removing water until it contains the correct amount?

What *are* you talking about?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well I could do that but then it's a big faff if I add too much. And by the time I'm adding the water, I've already put the pan back in the breadmaker so as to minimise the risk that the pan contents might get agitated enough to have the water and yeast come into contact.

If you never do delayed (e.g. overnight) baking then obviously such a risk is not relevant for you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes it is.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What's wrong with that? There's no problem there.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

how on earth did people make bread before the advent of measuring jugs, digital scales and bread makers?

I know by feel if I need more water or flour. I never measure either...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

By putting a lot more work into making the bread.

Same with washing the clothes and dishes too.

More fool you.

Reply to
john james

Cut some slack... everyone puts their foot in it at some stage in life.

Reply to
Richard

Bloody annoying. I never know whether they are gas or electricity which is very important as mine have differing dimensions.

Reply to
Richard

So you just make a random sized loaf?

Reply to
dennis

more or less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its only misleading for people who don't already realise that the only reason large parts of the Netherlands aren't already flooded and underwater is because thousands of gallons of water are being pumped out of the polders on a continual basis 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

By these

You forgot all about this when you first looked at that map, if you ever knew about it in the first place, and you've been trying to bluff your way out of it ever since.

michael adams

michael adams

It's misleading because it suggests that there will be an insoluble problem of flooding when in fact pumping would solve it for many areas. It's typical greeny scare tactics.

What nonsense. And just for the record I have toured Holland and have visited the pumps and the dams. And eaten chips with mayonnaise on them from a van parked on the end of that long dam at the top of Lauwersmeer. And that was where I saw, years before, a wind turbine for the first time, and there was a seagull at the base of one, in two halves, which rather put me off them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright