OT The joys of BT

I've been on the internet since the word 'go' and frankly right now I couldn't use much more download speed. 15Mps is fast enough to get most of what I want in a perfectly assccpetable time.. I'd rather have more upload speed. When it takes minutes to send a 50Mbyte file to the lawyers....or upload it to my private 'cloud'

Even games - well the server I play against is the other side of a transatlantic pipe with 80ms delay on it. Doesn't matter how fast my local link is..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but their techs are steps closer to you with an independent ISP in the loop instead of BT retail.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once you get to the point where you can stream movies in real time, why does anyone much care?

Reply to
Huge

WEll for most people yes.

Unless you are running a web server at home...

I'd appreciate a better upload speed than 448kbps when I want to send a

50Mbyte email...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

I know what you're saying. I really battled with myself to justify the upgrade from 11Mbps ADSL to 40Mbps VDSL, but the price was the same (contract renewal so I haggled) and it does make a difference. Streaming movies, etc.

In a couple years we'll be routinely streaming 4k UHD movies which will need 4x the bandwidth of an HD one. I've already started downloading 4k content and it is simply stunning. Even got some 8k video but the PC struggles a bit with that.

A 4GB Linux .iso comes down in no time at all.

Remember Gates (allegedly) said at one point that 640k was enough for anybody :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I got 142MB down and 11.5MB up on my ipad last night via virgin media. usig the speednet app for testing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yet another call from BT to my mobile from India. I have no idea what was said as the sound level was inaudible. Ten minutes later, the Internet speed went up to 2.9M and the noise margin dropped to 2db with no internet. I presume they are saying once again, that there is nothing wrong with the line even though they can't get a call through! Rebooting the router brought the service back at 2,2M, so it works again.

Reply to
Capitol

That all depends on the bit rate of the movie. "HD" iPlayer (1280x720

25fps progressive) used to be around 2.5 mbps or 1 GB/Hr ish. You can now get 50 fps versions that run at 5 Mbps, 2GB/hour. At that rate it's not that hard to need 20 Mbps+, Dad watching something the lounge, Mum in the kitchen with a soap, kids up stairs...

Downloading isn't quite the same as streaming. The ADSL here has a through put of about 4 Mps on a good day (FTTC is 2.5 miles away, wouldn't be any faster). It could handle 2.5 Mbps iPlayer streamed or download in a few minutes shorter than the realtime duration. The 5 Mbps content won't stream and takes about double the running time to download. Do what we did with the new fangled 2400/2400 dialup modems, start it going and leave it for a day or two...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because you might not be the only one in the household using the service.

Used by up to four people here 50 odd G/B a day isn't that unusual..

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't you just send it and leave it to its own devices?.

Never pictured you as a gamer;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes they the still have to use "India" for a lot of information they need..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not me, not ever since I left BT.

The India call centres are all BT retail.

Not BT wholesale.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really much of one. But this one is an MORPG and I find it fills a few hours

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes but during the send it tends to slow other things down, OK perhaps if all your doing is typing into word. But it slows browsing down and most other things as yuor computer probbly unknown by you is sending and recivi ng packets continuously (usually due to goolge) and teh slower your upload the slower everything will work.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm referring to Openreach when they need info as to where their infrastructure and the like is etc..

Reply to
tony sayer

If they don't know no one does!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That no one knows, I can believe. 3pm yesterday I had a phone line(not working correctly) and some internet connection. 4.30pm, neither! I called India who said I would be reconnected by 12 midnight tonight. 5.30pm yesterday I was reconnected. My phone is just about working, but the noise margin on BB went from 6db at 9am to 2db by 11am, killing BB. Rebooting the router down to 2.2M gives me BB connectivity again, but no clue as to when BT will fix the line problem. Obviously it's a temperature related connectivity problem, as the day warms up, the absolute noise levels increase.

Reply to
Capitol