OT the headline writers simply gert worse every year

+1. Been there, done that, got the video... six inches between you and a sheer drop!

I actually scared myself on one of the other viaducts up there where I hopped off to take a 'photo and nearly tripped over something. A no walking sign. At which point I realised I was lots-of-feet-up on a flat surface with no rails...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Back in the -80s I cycled across it - sort of. Had to start off at the end of the exposed bit but the bike I was on 'shook its head' at v. low speed, so I never did let go of the rail. A quick estimate convinced me that, with the combined height of the towpath and me on a 26"-framed bike, the wrong sort of fall could cause an unwanted interaction with the far edge - and get water in the bearings!

Reply to
PeterC

They probably thought we'd all be working five-hour weeks in paperless offices and going everywhere by hovercar and wouldn't need bridges in the future.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I've walked the footpath/towpath on that one.

I was happy, my brother on the other hand has trouble with heights.

Reply to
djc

alan

"Bridges made redundant as Jet-pack use become widespread."

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

However in the 1980s there was discussion about whether it would make its centenary in 1990 - or more than a few years after.

Then not that long ago it was claimed the new paint job would keep it surviving for an indefinite future.

Wonder what the stories behind the scenes were/are?

Reply to
polygonum

Probably the Treasury :-)

Reply to
bert

Corrosion on the individual wires which make up the main cables.

Reply to
bert

Not as far up as the top of the towers of the Forth Road Bridge!!

Reply to
bert

Which one?

Presumably the Road Bridge?

That's the rail bridge isn't it? The end of the phrase "like painting the Forth (rail) Bridge" when refering to jobs that will never end.

That'll be the road bridge. I thought they had sort of solved that by fitting aircon/heaters/forced ventilation to reduce the corrosion rate to a much lower level.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When it was built, fifty years seemed an awfully long time away...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

All that did was extend the life slightly. It's going to be replaced.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell me about it. I remember visiting the building site on a school outing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Corrosion was a serious problem in the first Severn Bridge.

Due, I'm told, to the builders cvffvat into the box sections before they were sealed off.

Which reminds me of a visit to HMS Brecon whilst she was under construction. The whole thing was made of GRP, and there were prominent signs everywhere reminding everyone that cvffvat anywhere on the vessel was strictly forbidden.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Well, they'll be building a new one, but the old road bridge will still be in _limited_ use. (Or so I read in the papers last week.)

Reply to
S Viemeister

Another one is due to be built, but, like the Severn Crossing, there may well end up being 2 bridges.

Reply to
charles

In the early '80s my then GF lived next to a chap who was a civil engineer for British Rail. He told me that structures were designed for a 100-year life with no major maintenance, because any major work was very expensive (lack of diversion routes, I suppose).

Reply to
PeterC

On Sunday 10 March 2013 01:06 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker's skeletons must be cackling in their graves...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 10 March 2013 01:53 Sam Plusnet wrote in uk.d-i-y:

cvffvat?

Reply to
Tim Watts