OT the headline writers simply gert worse every year

A motorist with a fear of *bridges* called police in a panic while travelling along one of the country?s busiest motorways after realising he was about to travel *under* the River Thames, it emerged today.

The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps she was OK with tunnels but the mere sight of the QE2 was enough to set her off.

Reply to
Graham.

Daily Mail says:

Driver with terrifying fear of TUNNELS rescued by police after his sat-nav took him to the Dartford Crossing by mistake

By Simon Tomlinson

A driver who is terrified of bridges and tunnels called 999 after his sat-nav wrongly directed him to the Dartford Crossing and he realised he couldn't turn back.

< > Gephyrophobia is a fear of bridges and is often combined with a fear of tunnels, normally associated to agoraphobia or claustrophobia. < > Read more:
polygonum

Unable to turn back? Last time I went that way, you could turn off right up to the point where you paid the toll. In fact, checking on Streetview, there's an escape lane a few yards after the toll booths.

If the driver wanted to avoid *all* bridges and tunnels on the way from Kent to Essex, that's a *long* diversion unless you're not afraid to take a boat trip, and I'm wondering how the driver got from Essex in the first place.

Reply to
John Williamson

Bit early for the silly season?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One might say, a bridge too far then.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ever see the film Brian?

Mr Pounder

We've already had a thread about a pontif - now it's a pont if...

Reply to
PeterC

Graham.

Which just goes to show that the much maligned Mail is more reliable than the Telegraph. What did the Sun have to say anyone?

Reply to
bert

He was probably in shock at the thought of £2 to cross the bloody river. Thieving Barstewards!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just an aside. A couple of years ago, we holidayed in France, every toll was payable by cash or card. On returning to the UK we used the Dartford crossing and discovered that it was payable only by cash, we had no sterling and there was nowhere to easily escape when we couldn't use a card.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Well that's a lot less than avoiding Birmingham on the M6

Reply to
bert

That one will let you pay by card, sterling or Euros.

Reply to
John Williamson

Some people would be willing to pay a lot more than that to avoid Birmingham. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

ng.html

Yeah as I understood it the bridge toll was meant to be removed once the br idge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

Luckily I don;t drive :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

The toll on the Dartford crossing was removed a few years ago, after the period agreed by the government of the day for recovery of the building costs expired.

It was replaced the following morning by a maintenance charge.....

All legal, and it is now owned, I believe, by a French company, as is the M6 toll near Birmingham.

Reply to
John Williamson

bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

Last time I went there was stuck in a traffic jam for nearly an hour, as it couldn't take the traffic going through.

If there hadn't been any tollbooths I think it would have been fine.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Did you see the article in the Telegraph about map reading being cause of marital break-ups. One woman described how her husband got really angry in Scotland as she inadvertently directed him across the Forth Road Bridge - three times !!

Reply to
bert

bridge had been paid for, which I tought happened a year opr so ago. Now the excuse seems to be if it was free to many people would use it.

That was the original promise, but - shock horror - the politicians lied!

The claim was that, if it were free, more people would use it - and congestion would increase.

Shortly after that, a power failure in Dartford took out all the toll booths & guess what?

The traffic flowed at twice the speed.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman