OT The Forth Bridge

No M1 and A14, but for preference I would do A66, A1 as it is much prettier and the A1 less frenetic than the M1, fewer roadworks at present and avoids the M1/M6 A14 junction. A47 is a slow road.

Reply to
JohnW

As long as you don't get caught by the signs which send you down the A1/M1 link to the M1 if your destination is "the South" (bastards!)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Horrible idea

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Simply emigrate from Scotland and refuse to do business with it.

That's basically what the SNP supporters want, after all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And thn A6 isn't?

Reply to
charles

Excellent, thanks. We know the A1/A1(M) quite well, and it is usually an OK run, depending where the 'improvements' are, and the time of day. Getting through Newcastle was a bugger, earlier this year.

Reply to
News

I'd rather they were cautious. This is a bridge I've driven over many times - before.

Paul DS.

+++++++++++

I think they're over reacting! Just because of a few cracks in the metalwork they've closed the bridge.

I sometimes look at a newsgroup populated mostly by Russian engineers. One person, a senior female engineer called Slapabitta Ameritonit (you might have heard of her because in a previous life she represented the USSR for weight lifting in the 1964 Los Angeles Olympics) said that they should have just slapped a bit of Hammerite on it and walked away. I think she might be right.

Bill

Reply to
Paul D Smith

But we *enjoy* living here. Honest!

Well, yes. Staying is therefore a bloody good way to annoy them.

Reply to
News

There were significant QA issues with the wire, though.

It's hot-dipped galvanized, which is why corrosion isn't one of them.

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , newshound escribió:

Yes, the cable supplied was of lower quality than specified - it was calculated that it made the bridge 4x as strong in excess of spec rather than 12x so was deemed acceptable to use.

It's lasted a hell of a lot longer than the Forth though, probably due to...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

who suggested using the A6

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Typing too fast. I intended to write: A66

Reply to
charles