OT The Forth Bridge

But a lot more in terms of dynamic loading.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No - definitely ali mesh and some structural Isopon - kept my Maxi passing MOTs even after most of the door bottoms and sills had disappeared.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Steel ropes used for offshore work were packed with grease during assembly - I wonder if these were originally?

Reply to
Tim Watts

As the cable are in tubes, I would have expected them to have heavy-duty grease nipples at regular intervals - or at least a few holes where you could squirt the occasional drop of WD40.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

En el artículo , Bill Wright escribió:

Mike Tomlinson

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They are the reason a new bridge is being built.

Yes.

Reply to
Martin

Yes, but you said that the bridge was closed because of snapping cable strands. Whilst indirectly that may be related, that is not the reason the bridge was closed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sysco and not Serco?

Reply to
Martin

They could sell it to the USA to bridge the Grand Canyon.

Reply to
Martin

As long as it's not held together with metric nuts and bolts ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

So are cables supporting TV masts, and the grease has to be reapplied at intervals.

Reply to
nemo

It was built prior to UK metrification.

Reply to
Martin

As they haven't mastered prefabricating bridges *of that size* and craning them into place overnight, the time it takes to dismantle the old bridge an d erect the new one is too long. They need to have the new one ready before the close the old one ... in theory.

It's a bit like schools. Even though a new school can easily be built over the summer holidays using modular buildings, councils would rather build a new school on green belt (it's for the kiddies...) and then they can sell o ff the old school site for housing.

Smaller bridges are prefabbed and dropped into place overnight.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It looks like it will last almost exactly half its original design life of 120 years, assuming they manage to get this problem repaired, and less if they decide to give up on it a few years early.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The new bridge is supposed to be ready next year.

Reply to
Martin

Where are the Royal Engineers when you need them? If it been a war and a bridge was blown up by the enemy to stop the tanks and troops crossing, the Royal Engineers could have constructed a Bailey (or other type of) Bridge in a couple of days

Reply to
Graham Murray

I suppose it could be it's simply had to carry far more traffic than ever envisaged.

Thinking on it, the older suspension bridges over the Thames in London both have restrictions. And have had major re-builds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think I heard the end of next year. Not sure they could cope with the traffic chaos until then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but elf and safety would forbid anybody from actually using it

tim

Reply to
tim.....