OT The Forth Bridge

En el artículo , Bill Wright escribió:

It's not that, individual strands of cable are snapping in the main stays (the horizontal runs that span the bridge). Because snapped strands are hard to detect, they can't tell how many have gone.

The problem is caused by the Scottish weather - the cables are corroding and snapping on the inside. Eventually, you're going to have the outer (painted, protected) cable with a rotten core.

There's supposedly a proposal in place to blow low-humidity air into the gaps in the cable to reduce the speed of corrosion but I haven't been able to find out more. I have a feeling it's too late to save the bridge now.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A proposal? It's been going for years.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

Hasn't worked, has it? Seems a bit Heath Robinson to me.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Have long thought that half the answer to this type of problem is half a bridge.

Imagine, having built the FRB with N and S decks, a modest number of years later you had built HALF its replacement. You than could have three decks available - in any combination of being in use in either direction or in maintenance.

Then you build another replacement... and are ready to let the original get demolished (or fundamentally rebuilt in situ).

Reply to
polygonum

No doubt one of the issues is that FRB uses the 2nd best location to cross the firth. So a new bridge would have to use the third best site.

If this link can fail so could the others in the mirror image places. I also imagine that part of the issue is that this link is doing something useful in the structure, at least some of the time. Therefore during its re placement some significant temporary structure will have to be added before hand. This must be a nightmare repair scenario only a collapse would be wo rse.

Reply to
ed

Surely one of you former electronic wizards with a shed full of old bits has a Bridge Rectifier that they can send up there.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Something like this:

There is one in Scotland to copy - The Bridge of Oich.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Completely different, see Tim's link

newshound

A cunning plan!

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Very good :-)

Reply to
Clive George

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Brilliant!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I thought you knew. He had a perforated appendix so he swallowed a tube of No More Nails.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I am sure they did that about 3 years back.

Reply to
ss

But that would only allow one-way traffic.

Reply to
nemo

What have the cables got to do with the current problem? Nothing!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If it's a replacement, one would expect it to be built in the same place.

Reply to
Graham.

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk escribió:

There's eight of them, two at each corner close to the towers. They basically hold the lower deck up, hence the panic.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

Everything. It's a 50 year old bridge which has carried far beyond its designed amount of traffic for many years and now is showing signs of its age and workload. In other words, it's almost worn out.

Ever heard of context?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , ss escribió:

Thanks, I'll have to google some more.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker must be laughing their ghostly ends off :)

Even Ironbridge isn't doing too badly, considering it dates from 1779.

Reply to
Tim Watts