OT- The disappearing art of making scissors by hand

and

No connection etc but damn proud we can still make stuff like this in the UK

The Other Mike

The Other Mike wrote

Childs play. Kids do it in Pakistan

Jabba

I'm pleased to see they have a couple of apprentices. Keeping the skills going is always the difficult thing, particularly in engineering. Too many of today's youth don't want to get their hands dirty.

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm not to sure that's true, they aren;t exactly given much choice. They are told university is the correct way to go.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There is a considerable difference in quality though. Even with remedial work carried out in the UK, Pakistan made has always been a byword for poor quality in the surgical instrument trade. The steel is often of dubious quality and I would like to see any Pakistan made scissors (of which I have seen a lot) pass the loose fabric cut test at the end of the scissor making video.

Reply to
Nightjar

Even in NuLabour's ideal world, there will only be places for half of them. That leaves a lot of school leavers who could go into apprenticeships, but don't want to. It is a widespread problem: a good quarter of a century ago I was talking to the Swiss manufacturer of some of the machines I used and he had exactly the same problem recruiting apprentices to work in engineering.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes one can obviously say it was cutting edge tech at the time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff