OT: The Commodore 64 is back

I did the same with a bank account program, Vic20, BBC, Amstrad 512, Elonex something right up to VB6 when I finally splashed out on MSFT Money. Mostly BASIC but at least one in 6502 assembler.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Yup I had high expectations for what their A3000 may have been - rather a disappointment!

Reply to
John Rumm

As a third Dragon owner (that must be all of us!) it _was_ cool. Nicest

8-bit CPU I ever saw. But the world has moved on...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

;-) I think there were a few more. There's a Dragon User Yahoo group. Still interesting to reminisce. But yes, the world moves on. I keep twitching over my ebuyer basket, which has a Core i7 2600K processor with associated mobo and memory sitting in it. Do I need it? No - not really. Do I want it? Erm...yep! :-)

You're right about the 6809 though - it had definite SEX appeal. Last of the Motorola processors to do so, apparently!

Reply to
JW

My Grandad had one too. That's four :0)

It also had the best version of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy of any home computer of the era. Sadly it just wasn't as capable as the C64 and Speccy and it died a death.

I've got my Dragon in the loft but none of the software.

I *think* that all ended up in my Grandad's loft - I must go and have a look some time as I'll be really pissed off if it got binned.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Not as pissed off as I was when my parents cleared out my 'top cupboard' one day when I was at school.

"We've thrown away the Dragon's box to make some more room in the cupboard."

;-)

Reply to
JW

Well I have an iMac C2D 2.66, an Acer 1810tz 11.6" 1.2ghz SU4100 notebook and an Asus EEEPC 1001p and I just assembled a new PC with an i5-2500k @

4.6ghz (Akasa Venom CPU Cooler) 8GB Ram Asus P8P67 Motherboard ASUS 6850 1GB Graphics 1TB Western Digital HD and an Antec Basiq 550W PSU and Coolermaster Gladiator 600 case.

Did I really need it - no! but its the fastest PC I have ever owned and one of the fastest PCs in the world.

Reply to
Nick Le Lievre

Was about to ask why would you pair such a stonking processor with such an old video card? Then I realised you are talking ATI, not nVidia. :-)

Same mobo as I was looking at BTW - though I was thinking of getting the Deluxe, for the dual NIC and front USB3 panel. What RAM did you plump for? I'm considering the Kingston 2133MHz 4 x 2GB.

Just realised I will probably need to add a new CPU HSF to my list...the old Thermalright Ultra prob won't fit the new socket, will it?

Re: the iMac and others - yeah, I've got a load of other crappy machines too!! :-D

JW

Reply to
JW

Yes ATI Radeon 6850 ;)

I just went for Crucial 8GB (4GBx2) PC10600 DDR3 1333mhz RAM because it was cheap only £ 66.49 ex VAT Free Delivery. Does the job while not being the fastest but then it was cheap.

If it fits a socket 1156 then I believe it will fit a socket 1155.

Reply to
Nick Le Lievre

Wow! That is very cheap. The Kingston stuff was nearer £200, and was using up all four slots too!!

Mine is s775 (C2Q 9450 @ 3.2GHz) at the moment. I've resisted the urge to upgrade for almost three years, but Stony Bridge just stirred my upgrade loins! ;-)

The mount points for the HSF *might* be the same - I'll have to investigate.

Reply to
JW

You can get the Crucial RAM direct from

but if you want faster RAM it should not cost more then £ 30 extra

Reply to
Nick Le Lievre

I had one too.

I *wanted* an Atari 800 :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was probably more capable that the speccy - which really was nothing special in hardware terms.... just cheap!

I sold my VIC-20 kit recently... got £166 on ebay!

Reply to
John Rumm

I remember drooling over the description in the Maplin catalog when it first appeared. Turned to the price list to see "Not yet available". So it carried on for about a year or so before the bad news was revealed as £750 and that did not include BASIC. Still the VIC-20 came to the rescue shortly after.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only £500 now on eBay. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

I had the next-gen 800XL (which still sorta works - first the tape deck, then the cartridge slot died!). They weren't worth that money.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

I had my Commodore 64 at 6 years old... my first game was Castles or Siege, I don't remember exactly the name, but you had to protect a castle from the invaders, using hot oil on the enemy ladders.

-- Listen to my Music Demos -->

Manuel

Pfft only _one_ i5?

(This box runs an E7200, it's plenty for what I do with it, and it's cool and quiet. Too damn cool sometimes!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, but it's nice to see that there is some real effort going into this, over and above a few renderings (not that I'd want one, still!)

for a pair of full-height 3.5" drives for a number of years ago (unless that was the Professional, also described on that site - my memory's a little fuzzy, but I remember trawling the spares pile at Bletchley Park with Rich for suitable drives :-)

I've got one of the 'late' GEC-branded D64s in storage (along with a drive and a bunch of software). Neat little machines. I did have a D32 as well, but I don't remember if I kept that one :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson