OT: The Commodore 64 is back

In old clothes ...

makes me want to do the same with my BBC Micro. Where is me Angle Grinder :-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Rob Morley

I'm lost. It's a modern PC running an emulator. I'm sitting at a modern PC, and I could be running an emulator. So, what are you getting excited about?

Reply to
GB

It's an Atom/ION in a nice retro package. Have you no sense of style?

:-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Actually at the moment, I'm sitting on a stack of HP thin client PC's frigging around with the linux internals on ideas of repurposing these for other uses, major one is a squeezebox touch compatible thingy using the GPL Squeezeplay source.

The 200Mhz Geode based things have only 32MB of ram, 16MB of flash - and yup, that's fast enough for a BBC emulator - and the board is so small it will fit inside a BBC Micro case with space to spare! Hmm, that could be another project....

Reply to
Adrian C

Spookily I just started reading this page out to my OH to find him laughing as he's already there. He didn't see the url here!

Reply to
mogga

In article , Rob Morley writes

I like the way the background image shows through the sliding window.

Will it need one million POKEs to put a few pixels on the screen?

This is a pisstake IMO. The images are so obviously Photoshopped.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

jgharston

They're CGI, not 'shopped, I think.

Oh, ****. I was all sympathetic to the C64 product until I saw what they've done with the Amiga name. Pretty (ugly) cased HTPCs. "Includes... handling gloves".

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

As a product, it's vapourware, I believe - nobody has one, and you can't buy one. The one on the website is a 3D model, so it's not even clear that a single physical machine exists. In the meantime, it's a picture on a website of something that exists inside someone's head...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In article , jgharston writes

hard disc activity LED pins.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There are some prototype pics...

JW

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Memories pouring back. Waiting 35mins for a game to load from tape. Spending hours typing in code to see a blob bounce round the screen. Still got my old vic 20 and commodore 64 in mothballs somewhere trouble is the tape drive is goosed.

oh well loadA 0 sta FFD2

CJ

Reply to
cj

Have you tried Scratch?

fun, I've been using it with some Year 4 kids lately.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Well, not totally corrected. As there have been squillions of prototype computers that never actually got into production. In the olden days ago, though, they seemed really exciting. As a Dragon 32 owner in the early 80s, I found the discovery of things like the Dragon Beta really exciting just four years ago.

JW

Thanks

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Looks fun thanks for the link. Beats VB 6 hands down (hehe) Have written the same program for every mcn I have owned from my vic20 to the beast I run now .(must finish the beta version for windows 7.) A copy of the old Wadingtons Mastermind. On the Vic it would only support 4 pieces.

64 expanded to 5 with colour & sound. Amiga added go back (last move) and background music. Never published as I was writing stock control programs for the early Amstrad pc and teaching programs for the BBC. Happy days CJ
Reply to
cj

Fits the spec.

I note that the machine is clearly intended to have a hard drive (or SSD) ... "you can install Windows" and all that ... but there's no mention of a drive capacity anywhere in the spec.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James