OT - tax disc holder

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

One of the reasons for the change is that the not-easily forged tax disc is expensive to produce. Also the reg number is written on the disc

If it wasn't for the "part time police person" esp dog walkers lots of crimes would never be resolved including finding the stolen world cup in

1996
Reply to
bert

In my case, travelling by the main road route to work, *at least* twice in the three miles.

If I were one of those commuting between where I live and the West End of London, I lost count at about 15, if you include the speed and traffic light cameras.

Reply to
John Williamson

I don't know how many laser scanners capable of reading the vin are deployed.

Reply to
dennis

In message , bert writes

But seeing as the computer 'knows' whether a car is taxed or not anyway, that doesn't really seem an issue.

Reply to
Chris French

Pickles and it was still gold.

Reply to
polygonum

On 06/10/2014 09:39, Bob Henson wrote: ...

I do my best :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

On 06/10/2014 20:19, bert wrote: ...

The traffic warden will probably have a hand held ANPR device, so that only leaves Joe Public, who probably wasn't a major source of information anyway.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 06/10/2014 20:27, bert wrote: ...

Every time I use the local supermarket car parks or at least one Council owned car park. The Council uses ANPR to calculate the parking charge, while the supermarkets use it to enforce their free parking periods. I also have to enter my car registration to get a ticket in any local pay and display car park, even one where the first hour is free. I have no idea which, if any, of these might feed back to the national ANPR database, but the potential is certainly there.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 06/10/2014 22:35, "Nightjar

Reply to
polygonum

On 06/10/2014 13:51, Bob Henson wrote: ...

Looking at the ACPO guidelines on ANPR use, the minimum data passed to the national database is the registration, a digital image of it, the time, date, location, GPS coordinates, the Police force identification and the name of the camera. Optional data are the direction of travel and an overview image, which could be used to identify the make, model, colour and taxation class of the vehicle. What individual forces do with that data is largely left up to them and seems to depend upon what resources they choose to allocate.

However, this 2008 BBC news article suggests that ANPR is good enough at spotting false plates for crooks to have started using foreign plates:

Nightjar

OTOH unless you are directly

An accidental find ISTR, not any different than reporting suspicious items found thrown over a wall into the garden which you report to the police who then find they were stolen. I don't know any dog walkers who encourage their pets to do trained searching on command like working dogs involved with drugs/explosives and the various tasks a trained Police dog with handler can undertake just so they can behave like vigilantes and get a feel good factor. Amateur sleuths are best left to the fantasies of books ,radio and TV.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , polygonum writes

Reply to
Chris French

Reply to
Clive George

I can see at least 3-4 cars a day on my short drive that have a busted headlight. So can everyone else. Doesn't seem to stop them though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The ANPR cameras in Medway 'read' 220,000,000 plates a year. Population around 280,000.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry "Kent" not Medway, pop 1,466,500.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
dennis

Seems neither the police, nor the dog walkers, nor the dogs, nor the amateur sleuths, noticed a corpse hanging from a tree for several days in a West London park

Reply to
stuart noble

That will be the Yodel directors on their way to a board meeting

Reply to
stuart noble

Almost certainly depends on where you are. AFAIK the last probably time I was on ANPR would have been Saturday evening passing through Hexham. I don't think there are any between Hexham and here or any within 20 miles of here but then they don't have to be very big and obvious. Just look at the ones at car park entrances, very discrete.

Some one mentioned ANPR on traffic lights, hum nearest traffic lights? They'll be on the temporary(*) Bailey Bridge over the River Eden at Langwathby, 10+ miles away. After those the next sets will at the 20+ miles distance again. Ah no I expect there will be ANPR on the A69 around Brampton thats only about 15 miles away, the next nearest lights will be in Brampton as well.

(*) FSVO of "temporary" it's been there since a flood in 1968 took out the stone arch bridge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice