OT Tag

Tick around here, and 'barley' if you were having a time out for any reason, as in , 'you can't tick me - I've said barley!'

Reply to
Phil L

A bit advanced for 8 year old kids in the playground, n'est pas?

Reply to
geoff

Just touch in North London

I knew it as veinites, legend having it that a vein lead straight from your forefinger to your heart, so crossing your fingers was the equivalent to crossing your heart and making a pledge of truce. You also had to hold the crossed fingers above your head, to make sure everyone could see them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

We called it "it"

Hmm odd feeling of Deja Vu reading that - had you have asked me for the rules of the game I would not have even remembered that there was a opt out phrase, but reading it, I do recognise the word and also have a vague recollection of the crossed fingers bit...

Reply to
John Rumm

Could it have been "it" if it was a mixed school and "he" if it was boys?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Although that is the phrase that gave the name dog Latin to barbarous Latin and thence to humorous mock Latin..

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It was the same in Birkenhead :)

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Cor! Brainbox eh! Brainee!...Brainee!...Brainee!

Above utterance is meant as an insult...

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

In message , geoff writes

Note for eo year report - "Is unable to follow simple instructions" - Tomorrow not today.

Reply to
Si

"Chase", and crossed fingers were "keys".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:34:29 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote (in article ):

We called it 'tuggy'. One person was 'it' for the duration of the game.

If you got tugged by 'it', you had to race to the 'danny' point - convenient lamp post, tree, wherever - and call out danny-1-2-3 before the tugger could get to the same place and do the same. If you got your danny in first, you were safe (and still out), else you were out (and in line to be 'it' next). Last man standing wins. Only way for 'it' to win was to out-danny the last person which rarely happened.

On looking back, mostly there was only ever one person that got out-dannied, and they tended to be the one who was slower at running than 'it' as you could be tugged at a point up to about a quarter of a mile from the danny point so there was lots of fast sprinting involved.

I was very fast and fit at the time (schools athletics, long jump, 100m etc) so I rarely got tugged as I could out run 'it' and on the odd occasion I invariably got to the danny first! The other kids hated it when I insisted on being 'it' for a game (or 'on' as we called it) as (A) it didn't last long and (B) they all got out-dannied. Heh.

Wish I'd never lost that fitness, tbh. Damn hard to get it back 30 years later.

Reply to
Gary

In message , Si writes

NAh - done yesterday FOR today

I wish it had been that easy 35 years ago

Reply to
geoff