[OT] Switching mains using Chromecast?

Are there any gizmos which can be attached to the Chromecast-Audio device to switch the mains on and off?

It would be nice if I could switch on the mains power to my stereo player by using my tablet to send a request to the Chromecast-Audio device and then for the device to switch the mains power.

Reply to
pamela

The answer is almost certainly yes, but specifying what they should be is another matter.

Probably your best solution is to either have something else on teh network that responds to a remote command - like a Raspberry Pi or similar driving a mains relay, or to build as bit of custom hardware that detects an audio signal off the Chromecast and use that to hold a relay closed until the music shuts off for a few minutes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question but I would like to ask one myself.

In recent weeks there has been a number of positive comments about the CCA not least the very competitive price. However, a little research revealed that the device does not support gapless playback. Now for me this is intolerable but do you CCA fans just live with this or isn't it an issue for some reason?

I have read that some items including one online music subscription service can send the CCA a continuous stream of audio and by so doing mimic gapless, is this what you're all doing?

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Latham

Not really, I suppose you could add some sort of vox operated relay between the CCA output and the stereo input, guess the price before you click!

and then use that to turn on the stereo, but I should think silences between or within tracks will confuse it.

If you used a chromecast HDMI to an AV amp, it can send CEC* switching to turn on whatever it's connected to (e.g. I can turn on my TV by starting to cast something to it from a tablet/phone).

[*] aka Anynet/AquosLink/BraviaLink/RegzaLink etc
Reply to
Andy Burns

Built in. I bought a CCA in Currys, hooked to the hifi, plugged into the mains.

*bang*

That one didn't need gizmos to turn the mains off. Shop replaced it without a murmur...

An ESP8266 WiFi thing, a relay, and Blynk - change from a fiver if ye can find standby power from somewhere. It wouldn't connect to the CCA though, and ye might need help from a spotty kid to help with coding.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Aka the PFY

Pimply Faced Youth...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My sub woofer has an audio present detection system, however it seems to not work very well as when the stereo is on at background listeing levels you can quite clearly hear it cut in and out seemingly randomly so I don't think this is very good.

I'm very supprised by now there is not a set of switched outlets that does this via wifi. Back in the day a scheme called red boxes did something similar on a remote control. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's getting closer to what although the price at ?100 inc VAT is unwelcome.

Sometimes during Chromecast setup it squeaks ultrasonic codes which some clever entrepreneur might use as a signal for mains switching to be picked up by some custom ultrasonic transducer.

It's all above my pay grade. I just want to buy such a thing to remotely switch my stereo on and off.

Reply to
pamela

If you are prepared to press a button on a remote, you could use something like this

(There are various types, this is just one example)

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

You need a Immigrantomatic Pamela. They are terribly inexpensive.

And you will have in addition a tremendous topic of conversation as well as the moral high ground in 'doing your bit for refugees' and simultaneously being able to feel infinitely superior because they cant read the instruction manual.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got a pair of remote control plug in switches. Bit like a plug in timer. Came with a remote control. Discovered my phone would work them - same as it can replace the TV etc remote.

(Only thing I actually use them for is the Xmas lights)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would work although it's less than ideal because I would also have to fetch the remote control each time I wanted to play music from my tablet. It's a second best which I may have to use.

In fact, what I would really like is 3 stereos with Chromecast- Audio that I could switch on and off, so my mum can wander from room to room in the house and I could make her favourite music follow her.

I don't want to play her music, which is not entirely to my taste, through the whole house at the same time.

Reply to
pamela

Try one of these, currently £23 and tells you the power consumption as well...

Efergy Ego Smart Wi-Fi App Remote Control Energy Monitor Timer Home Power Automation Socket for iPhone and Android Devices

Adrian Caspersz

I thought you commies didn't do Christmas?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You'll also find the remote blocks the operation of most car remote locking systems. Just keep any button pressed and try to lock / unlock your or a friends car. (Well the four plugs and remote I bought does).

Reply to
brightside S9

That's a very good fit with what I am trying to do.

I didn't realise such things existed. Now we're talking!

Thank you.

Reply to
pamela

Google Play Music is *supposed* to support gapless playback, though I find it doesn't always get it right, a bit of googling says it depends on the album being digitised right by the source, just tried it on a Roger Waters album sent to the chromecast and there were no hiccups across tracks where there is dialogue and background sounds continuing between them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's interesting. I was thinking of getting one of these devices but was put off by the lack of gapless. A friend of mine has bought one and he's done a fair bit testing himself and come to the conclusion that the device can't do gapless itself at all. It mimics gapless when the source sends a constant stream to it and treats it like a wi-fi dac where it doesn't know where one track starts and another ends.

I'll be honest, it is a bit poor not to support gapless properly now, the majority of kit managed gapless from about 3 years ago.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Latham

What would be the difference between "gapless" and a "constant stream"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

What about this?

Scott