[OT] Surrounded by a forcefield?

You can still doa paper tax return but you have get it done early compared to online.

And the system didn't flag it up? No imagination some software designers, Data validation is critical to any system otherwise it's the ole "garbage in, garbage out".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

having

Apparently we can as well and have been able to for years. It used to involve a phoneline connected Skybox but I think it has moved to the internet now. Never used it.

That could be useful if one was busy.

Not normally a problem though just after they open on a morning is not the best time to call. The conversation if you dropin to make an appoint goes like:

Good morning, I'd like to see a Dr. Good morning. OK, let see Dr Jekyl is free at 1020. Is that suitable? Yes, thank you. What time is it now?

1000. OK I'll wait.

Or collecting presciptions:

Hello, I've come to collect our prescriptions. Just a moment Here we are. Just sign there. Thank you, Bye. Bye.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The joys of rural practice. Ours is similar. I phoned to make an appointment yesterday and got one in a couple of hours time despite it being not urgent. I hear other peoples experiences, eg in London, are significantly worse.

Reply to
Clive George

Agreed there are not yet many things that absolutely force you to use government-related websites, but it is moving in that direction.

I suspect that things like staffing of the areas which accept non-online versions are reducing and, should there be a major issue, might very well be overwhelmed by "traditional" submissions.

Reply to
polygonum

There are only two times for making a call if you want an appointment today: at first opening and at re-opening after lunch. Our surgery has extremely limited numbers of pre-bookable appointments (by which they mean for sessions other than the current one) so most appointments have to be made within minutes of them opening - otherwise you will not get one.

Reply to
polygonum

These days mail the surgery online for repeat ones, or if there're issued whilst there, there're set by wibbling electrons so the prescription is at the chemists before you can even get there;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In terms of overall plant?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I am doing my very best never to accept electrons going from GP to pharmacy. There have been far too many supply problems with the medicines I care about. Unscrambling those electrons so you can visit another pharmacy and get their last stock from the back of the cupboard is a non-trivial exercise.

(In reality, now, I want my paper prescription so that I can scan it and send to Germany, and get my preferred make of medicine. I have problems with all three UK makes.)

Yes - I do order up my repeat on-line.

Reply to
polygonum

Apparently there is online repeat 'script ordering but it's no hassle to take the bit of paper in when going to the Co-op for milk. Indeed it could be argued the extra 1/2 mile of walking is good for me.

Collect from the surgery not the (note singular) chemist. They have to order in at least one (possibly both) of my items as I'm the only person attending the surgery on it.

Is there a reliable cost site for prescription drugs? I'm finding prices from US$2.50 to US$7.50 per tablet for one of mine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can find out the cost as far as the NHS in England is concerned here:

(Some similar information is available for northern Ireland - have not checked Wales and Scotland.)

Tell us (or me!) what medicine and I will tell you what I can find it for (and where!). I think my email works, mostly.

Reply to
polygonum

Ta.

Well as I don't pay for 'scripts (for the time being) the cost is more just out of interest and a reason why the surgery and chemist don't stock it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Shelf life can be an issue.

One medicine I came across had a life of 30 days from originally being made up. Dispensed in a package of 30 to be taken one a day. Took at least three days to arrive with the pharmacist, then we had to go and pick it up. They could not see the problem!

(Well aware that the 30 days was an arse-covering "put that on and we can't be wrong" but it was madness.)

Reply to
polygonum

I believe they can transfer it but I'll raise that with our local pharma when I see him next..

Interesting that last bit, are you saying that the UK version of a medicine isn't quite the same to what it might be?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't or can't the HNS supply??...

Reply to
tony sayer

If I take one make, it seems to flood into my system about an hour or two later. So gives what feels like too sharp a peak then. But before my next one is due, I am feeling under-dosed.

If I take a second make, I simply feel permanently slightly under-dosed.

If I take one of each of the above (to the same total dose) it is better than either alone, but still get a bit of a peak and a slightly under-dosed feeling.

If I take the third make, well, I can't. It only comes in tiddly tablets of which I would need five - and they cost more than the higher dose tablets. Simply would not get a prescription for them.

When I was taking a fourth make, they lost their product licence because they had substituted one ingredient outside specification. That resulted in everyone taking that make being under-dosed - possibly by around 20%. I felt under-dosed, and I was! No longer available.

There are no other UK makes.

Someone I know had a German make supplied by the NHS because (unlike the UK makes) they are lactose-free. She moved on to other products so I simply used them up to avoid waste. While doing so I felt better than on any UK tablets. So, months later, when I simply could not get my dose right, I bought my own and have never looked back. Blood tests back me up.

Reply to
polygonum

Not for these, some time next year or the year after...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Undoubtly and I suspect that the staffing for doing the online submission processing is also reduced. After all why employ someone to (slowly) look at a screen and check things when a machine can do it in the blink of an eye. Probably better as it can cross check with previous submissions, match against "normal" patterns for the type of person and the work they do etc. Machine waves a flag when it finds a discrepancy, inconsistency or something it doesn't understand.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

1020.

Not the abscence of any names in either the dialogue as well.

Aye, I think any practice in a reasonable sized town is up against it. Having said that some do seem to have some strange policies regarding the making of appointments, like not for today, only tommorow or the day after, by phone only, after 1000. Whichof course means you *have* to be available to bash the redial button from 1000 to stand any chance of getting an appointment

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Having looked at the spreadsheet which number has to be divided into the "Net Ingredient Cost (p)" to get the cost, "Items Dispensed" or "Quantity"?

Presumably "Items Dispensed" gives cost per, variable sized, packet and "Quantity" cost per tab?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So your saying that various makes of medicines have been composed differently then?..

I take Amlodpine for hypertension but the generics my pharmacist supplies one make is deffo waay different from the other ones.

He swears there're the same ingredients but I just swear about them and not to give me those;!...

Reply to
tony sayer