OT: Surgery Blood Tests??

My surgury used to require a second appointment and the nurse did it. Now they no longer take blood samples at all - you have to go to the local hospital. That's a walk-in service -- no appointments, but you can have to wait up to an hour if you pick a busy time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It'll be a time issue rather than a skill issue. It is impossible to become a GP without doing quite enough blood tests to last a lifetime.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Don't know but I'm getting blood taking as well. No not on the day that would be far to convenient to the patient, no you have to come back and have it done days later. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not really going to happen whether you have have not been tested. Might be interesting to know whether the doctor has just one thing he is looking for or does a full spectrum. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ours has two sessions dedicated to flu jabs on Saturdays one in September which was this weekend and the next in October. They are advertised well in advance and when you make an appointment you are given a time to turn up starting from 8.30am and I think they go on to about 3.PM. Very efficient ,report to reception a few minutes before your appointment time, collect ticket walk to a corridor where ticket is handed to a member of staff who also reminds those twerps who have turned up wearing jumpers and long sleeved shirts or blouses to roll their sleeves well up and will be directed out of line while they do so.

There are three or four nurses stood a few yards apart at small tables and you just advance to the next free one just like going to the next till in Boots. Poundland etc. It is reminiscent of sheep being dipped and impersonal but fast, they are usually ahead of schedule and this Saturday I entered the Surgery at 9.15 for a 9.20 appointment and was out at 9.19. Tea and biscuits run by the surgery support group is available for a donation for those who want to rest afterwards and natter.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

But flu jabs are relatively ineffective over 60 AIUI!

Reply to
Capitol

I spect that why they insist I keep having them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'Flu vaccination is largely ineffective, despite what your Government may have you believe' by Dr John Briffa on 25 November 2010 in Food and Medical Politics

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Is Dr Briffa a mainstream doctor? He styles himself Practitioner of Integrated Medicine, whatever that means, at two private hospitals.

I go and get a flu jab every year. I won't bother if it doesn't work at all, but I'd like to hear that from an uncontroversial source. Besides that, your link is to an article 6 years old, and things may have improved?

Reply to
GB

my doc just made up a medical reason for its necessity

though I would have been happy to pay as I am sure that my surgery would charge less than some private place does and it's far more convenient to go to.

It's a 10 minute, walk straight home afterwards, op FFS

tim

Reply to
tim...

My practice has nurses to do those routine tasks like taking a blood sample, blood pressure, and ear syringing etc. Why use a doctor's valuable time for things like that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're lucky. Ours (2 miles away) no longer does them except for those who can't get to another surgery about 5 miles away. No problem for me - I can walk there or, if a bit wet, get the bus and walk the last mile. Trouble is, I really have to walk 2 miles and then catch the bus from opposite the 'local' surgery to ensure getting there!

Reply to
PeterC

sorry, I've moved onto the minor surgery doctor

tim

Reply to
tim...

Why use a nurses valuable time for taking blood pressure or blood samples ?.

My surgery has a self serve BP machine and the lady who takes blood has no nursing or medical qualifications.

Reply to
Andrew

When I worked at the Welsh blood transfusion centre in the 70's, it was located at an old Canadian WW2 army hospital and had a wonderful collection of roses. Apparently the medical director was a keen gardener and used expired units of blood as fertiliser. Shame to let all that iron and other nutrients go to waste. After his annual trips home to Scotland he would bring a couple of salmon back (keen fisherman too) and keep them in the same deep freeze that was used to store assorted blood group control blood samples. no Health and Safety in 1971 and woe betide any pen-pusher who tried to assert any dominance over the consultants.

Reply to
Andrew

Came across a nasty a few years ago in the local hospital, a young (30) woman had a flu jab and ended up paralysed. Apparently this is a known relatively rare side effect.

Reply to
Capitol

Although it may not be that taxing, anyone doing blood draws needs to keep abreast of the lab's requirements for the samples. Different tubes and tops, handling, speed of delivery to lab, etc.

Not surprising if GPs don't bother, especially locums.

Reply to
polygonum