OT: Supplier for Computer hard drives

Can anyone suggest a supplier for 3.5" SATA hard drives?

I'm after 15x 1TB drives, probably Hitachi Deskstar or similar.

Usually I'd buy from ebuyer but their prices have shot up recently (£125 each...!!!)

Reply to
AlanD

Everywhere has gone up - the main factory has been flooded...

Some places are even rationing them due to chancers stock-piling them for later eBay selling...

Aria appear to have plenty... At £99.99 each..

luck!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Whirling Peasees are offering cheapo Seagate 1TB drives for under 40 squids, and I've seen a lot of external ones for round about the 75 mark on offer recently at places like various DSG group shops and Maplins, so you get the drive wth a bonus USB interface. "This item is not available" They suggest a 250Gb drive as an alternative...

The decent ones seem to be all at your price, give or take a delivery charge.

Reply to
John Williamson

> or
> Good luck!

I'll wait then. They were about £38 a few months ago. Eventually the price will come down again! Thanks anyway.

Reply to
AlanD

Count de Monet

A week ago they were predicting a minimum of three months disruption to supplies from Thailand. 30% of drives are sourced from there, leaving the others to pick up the slack, demand is outstripping supply, hence the price hike, but some of it is definitely trying to rip off the customer.

Do you really need 15 drives or would fewer larger capacity drives suffice?

CPC sat on one of my orders last week for over a day, and then said that the drives I had ordered were out of stock (they weren't for the best part of 24 hours) and that they were incorrectly priced (despite appearing in many of their printed flyers at that price) and then they cancelled the order saying I could reorder at their new price which was over 2.5 times the previous price.

No way on earth am I paying these prices, they are higher now than the were more than two years ago!

Reply to
The Other Mike

I recently experienced the same problem when trying to buy a 2TB Samsung drive. I ended up using CPC. on 23/10/11 I paid £63 for the same drive I paid ebuyer £57.28 at the end of August.

Reply to
Michael Chare

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:21:18 -0000, AlanD wrot= e:

Work IT people are supposed to be getting me an extra 320 GB drive for m= y =

tower. They got a lappie drive by mistake. And by the time they looked a= t =

getting me a 3.5" drive they were quoted =A3214. And rationed to one per= =

customer. Have ended up with a 160 drive from the back of the cupboard.

Reply to
polygonum

Tell them you want

and the 320G drive back.

Reply to
dennis

They're for a disk array I've acquired and want to upgrade, and as the RAID group is across them all (well, 14 + 1 hot spare), I need 15 the same.

I'd consider upgrading for under £40 each, but not at the current prices. I'll re-visit in 6 months or so...

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

Why should I do that? Although 320 Gb was ordered, 160 is plenty for my = =

current needs. And few lappie drives are as fast as 3.5" drives

And your link didn't work.

Reply to
polygonum

Works here. I suspect you have a browser problem.

Reply to
dennis

Yup, works fine in Opera.

Reply to
PeterC

>>> Good luck!

Yup, but possibly not back to previous levels for six to nine months. My cheapest buy price was £79+VAT yesterday, but they are getting more expensive daily.

Reply to
John Rumm

Forgot to mention the externals, yup I picked up five the other day at under £50, so there are some about still.

Reply to
John Rumm

Be wary of using a drive from an external enclosure in a desktop machine, it will likely have a shorter warranty and may have custom firmware to keep it running cooler in an under-ventilated case.

Reply to
fred

And it may not come with a SATA drive inside - the drive may have a mainboard which does USB directly.

ebuyer the other day were selling 80GB for 80 pounds - thought we'd passed

1 pound per GB a long time ago...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

WTF is "Whirling Peasees"?

Reply to
Mark

>>> and the 320G drive back.

Peter,

Did you try the link from the original post or one of the replies?

I too am using Opera. The "and" simply got appended to the link so it ended "htmland". But every post other than the one that original posted that link no longer does that.

Reply to
polygonum

Sorry, shedspeak for PC World. I forgot I was in decent company.;-)

Reply to
John Williamson