OT Sun bleached items

So, you all understand that when you put something out in the sun for a long time the colour get bleached out of it

Well the thing that I have just had this happen to is the bottle of washing up liquid that I keep on the kitchen widow ledge. It used to contain yellow liquid and now it is almost clear.

Still works fine.

Never would have believed this could happen if I hadn't seen it myself

tim

Reply to
tim.....

must be all the pigs urine in it ......

Reply to
Jim at the Common Riding

Same thing happens with Coco Cola.

Reply to
harry

tim..... scribbled

You have sun ?

Reply to
Jonno

Sounds a bit odd, are you sure its the contents not the plastic bottle? Maybe its the pigs urine urban legend suggests is in the product. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I would not know about that, but the sun can have some very odd, and sometimes nasty effects on things. A seed propagator with transparent plastic ornate top once went bang in a greenhouse, turning the lid into very brittle scrunched up plastic with a black tinge, and a smell of cut Perspex in the air. Obviously something in the plastic reached a critical temperature and had a violent reaction.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

UV damages the polymer bonds in the plastic and heat drives out the plasticisers. Eventually it ends up brittle and when the moulding stresses exceed its residual strength it goes pop. Cheap clear plastics usually tend to go yellow in sunshine rather than bleaching.

Some white paints rely on light whitening to stay white and will go yellow underneath ornaments left in the same place for too long.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It is amazing what you learn on this news group ! ......

Reply to
J1MBO/m

I buy Meths in 4.5l drums, (don't ask) and when decanted into clear plastic bottles for convenience it loses its purple tinge. Very confusing.

Reply to
fred

The last meths I bought (B&Q's own "Diall" brand) didn't have any purple colourant.

Reply to
Andy Burns

its reassuring when a product is branded die-all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I once bought some Xmas lights made by the Tat company of Hong Kong

Reply to
charles

That must be the drinkable version :-)

Reply to