OT: Suitable small auto car for elderly mother

That's what was on the 800. No epicyclic box could have been so crude.

The 800 had 4 - par for the course in those days. But to get a reasonably smooth shifting synchromesh auto, you need vast processing power, and twin layshafts/clutches like the DSG.

Only newish small auto I've driven was a BMW 1 Series, and that was fine. But I've driven some truly dreadful older ones. Usually with rubber band transmissions - or not enough gears.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose 30 odd years ago can be 'last'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I dislike them to drive. And they do seem horribly unreliable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to love the ones in the Metros - they were a hoot. Choose revs, let car get on with it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Perhaps I should have said "a CVT box", but I was only going on info I had seen on the web:

am very happy with my 2006 Jazz with CVT.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have strongly recommended against it, but she likes the looks.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

However diesel automatics with any granny-appeal old enough to not be encumbered with such devices are pretty much universally dreadful.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Some more recent Diesel engines have rather optomistic service intervals. They are also significantly more complicated with a far greater number of electro mechanical gubbins to gum up/wear out than an equivelant petrol engine.

I am a fan of 1990s Peugeot Diesels for instance for the reasons you seem to promote, like frugality, longevity and reliability but the modern diesel is a different animal.

My opinion is that a 1990s Diesel Peugeot automatic would not be a sensible choice for someone looking for a reliable means of tootling about in their old age.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Very agreed! I often get out of my car after ever-so-carefully nudging it into a eeny weeny tiny space, only to get out and find space for two barges at each end.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Ah - you see, that's because you treat parking as a non-contact sport. Do it the Parisian way - parking by Braille.

Reply to
Skipweasel

The one in my Xantia is still going strong. I've hardly nurtured it, but it's N-reg, done around 170,000 miles and isn't showing any signs of dying. Unlike the clutch - but that's been slipping for three years now.

If it passes its MOT this month I might push the boat out and let it have a new clutch.

Reply to
Skipweasel

A friend hired a Polo recently and hasn't stopped singing the praises since.

Reply to
GB

Parking sensors. They can be bought cheaply aftermarket if your car doesn't have them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A taxi

Reply to
Harry

Adam said: "My servicing means changing the oil. I'll do the other bits when needed."

I need to save money...so i like the sound of that. Have 1995 toyota corrolla. What are the things to look out for as an indication that the other bits are needed.?

Reply to
john MacArthur

"john MacArthur" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Coolant & brake fluid are periodic, rather than mileage - every two years. Cambelt is mileage and age. If you don't know when it was last done, DO IT NOW. Brake friction material is solely on wear. Belts are on condition.

Lubricate all the odds and sods - hinges, latches etc - every time. It takes seconds whilst you're going round doing a quick visual.

It's always wise to have a damn good check-over everything each time, but on a car of that kind of age, I really wouldn't be taking the manufacturer's schedule as gospel.

Reply to
Adrian

in that case what about the toyota IQ. i've heard people are saying its a better drive than the smart and a bit more room in the back (for a 2 seater that is).

Reply to
john MacArthur

The cambelt must be swapped when the mileage says so. That is not a job I DIY. I can do it but it takes me too long.

I wait until the warning light comes on the dash (and then still drive some

1k miles) before swapping the pads. I have never worn a set of pads down to the metal yet.

Once a year if they are lucky.

John's car is the same age as my car. As long as the oil is clean and the cambelt is good then I'll worry about swapping the spark plugs etc when the weather is a bit warmer and not at the service interval. My car is worth less than a weeks wages and apart from a battery this winter it has never let me down.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I don't have any cars that recent. Too bloody complex and hassle-prone for my liking.

Reply to
Adrian

I wouldn't rely on them. Quite a few of the cars I've looked at over the years - the wire leading to the pads has dropped out or broken. Or aftermarket pads fitted at some point didn't have the right hole so it's been snipped off.

Reply to
Skipweasel