OT: Sugar

I was being a little superficial:-)

I read the bit about the Danish fat tax.

Perhaps if such a tax were at all practical it should be based on a multiple of the sugar content with the product price?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yep, I gave up roll-ups a couple of years ago after half a century or more and, to my disappointment, food tasted just the same. None of the benefits I was looking forward to materialised

Reply to
stuart noble

OTOH, you smelt a lot better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sounds like a good way to push down the price of junk food :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thats because in the time your were smoking growers have managed to breed all the taste out of most fruit and vegetables.

I'm just waiting for the new season crop of large red juicy but tasteless Spanish strawberries to appear on the supermarket shelves.

Meat now gets slaughtered, chilled and is on your plate minutes later.

Reply to
alan

Sugar is addictive and so is alcohol. We have a serious problem in this country with both. Problem is all the addicts refuse to face up to it.

Reply to
bert

Not on the current scale.

Not sure what your point is. Binge drinkers consume a lot more at home before leaving to go out to the pubs.

Reply to
bert

The logical conclusion is then to refuse free treatment on the NHS which is of course funded by tax payers money to those whose problems are self inflicted. Incidentally I would think virtually every member of the public pays taxes of some sort so tax payers and public are virtually synonymous in this context.

Reply to
bert

In message , Tim Lamb writes

That would be the obvious thing to do but I think they are wise to it.

Reply to
bert

Have you ever considered that they might just like it?

I don't take sugar or like sweet things, but a world without alcohol?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Agreed. It has reduced considerably in the last 100 years.

Mainly due to price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Drunk for a penny, dead drunk for tuppence, clean straw for nothing!

18th century (1730) 10 million gallons of gin per year sold in London alone.
Reply to
Capitol

Natural foods/nutrients are more complex than most artificial and harder to forecast reasults. There's quite a lot of exotic natural stuff we have only been eating for a short time so edible is hard to define.

There's people out there thinks it's natural ergo it must be safe. Plants didn't evolve to be eaten. We evolved to eat them.

Reply to
harryagain

Tripe. Sugar is not addictive. Alcohol is only addictive to some people

- possibly by an as yet un-established genetic mechanism. Don't feed misinformation to people - if they are daft enough to believe you it can do a lot of harm.

Reply to
Bob Henson

+1 Yes, a very serious point. I was well and truly addicted to tobacco but alcohol I can take or leave. Some have the problem in reverse. Time we stopped tarring (whoops) everyone with the same brush
Reply to
stuart noble

They reserve the right to contact your doctor but in my case they didn't bother. Pension was too small probably. A good incentive to give up the day after your annuity is agreed.

Reply to
stuart noble

Almost exclusively funded by smokers and drinkers I imagine

Reply to
stuart noble

Yesterday I had a pint in some gloomy eatery that used to be a proper pub where people fell over sometimes. Well over £4 and not a young person in sight. And you can shove your quails eggs right up your arse

Reply to
stuart noble

On Saturday 11 January 2014 20:30 alan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's true. When I visited Latvia in 1997, I tried a Big Mac (you have to really - to see if they really are the same the world over).

It was way better than the ones in the UK. Seemed to be the salad for one actually had taste. In fact vegetables in Latvia all had taste. Possibly because a country the size of England with a population smaller than London doesn't need so much fertiliser?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Cyanide is edible. That's usually how it's administered.

jgh

Reply to
jgh