[OT] Street map with house numbers

[...]

A good digital map (online or offline isn't the issue) 'even' shows the shape of buildings. With this amount of detail, including a 'house' number in the data is a trivial addition.

No guessing in case of OSM. Just hard data. (Whether that data is correct or absent is another matter.)

[...]
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

It shows no house names in my village, but does include a business that has been closed for more than 2 years.

Oh well.

Reply to
Davey

Yes: that app is called Maps :-) . Its version is 5.6.2; it uses 404 KB of data, maintains an 8 KB cache, and has access to just about everything.

More than that I do not know. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Indeed, and minor streets - the OS maps available on Digimap (and elsewhere) for example - linked above in this thread. We used to use them for surveying reports, and widely used for conveyancing etc.

Reply to
RJH

pamela schrieb am 2016-03-13 um 21:37:

Well - OpenStreetMap is an collaborative project. Someone has to put the house numbers there and it seems nobody did so far.

Reply to
Arno Welzel

For what it's worth, the OP posted to two uk.* groups and comp.mobile.android, which is international. I think they implied they wanted a UK map with house numbers, and most of the responses have assumed that too.

A map with house numbering over many different countries is a much harder problem - as you say Google or OSM are some of the few people to have tackled that. I note Bing also has (for some areas at least). Both Google and Bing don't display them on maps, though.

Theo

(mentioning this because often on Usenet an unstated part of questions is '...in America', which can get a bit tiresome if the question is lacking in context)

Reply to
Theo

Ordnance Survey, eg

Ordnance *Survey*.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Google does in some areas.

Reply to
Sam Crean

The Ordnance Survey's Get-A-Map site lets you see that area online.

1.4977882599862358

Reply to
pamela

Some OS maps do have house numbering. I particularly remember one place I lived, a terrace, for which I somehow got a high resolution planning map (might have been for planning permission purposes - I can't remember for sure). Shame the numbers were wrong. One end of the terrace was correctly numbered with its even number. All the physical houses were correctly represented. They only marked about one in ten houses. Halfway down, they had the number on the house next door to the one it should have been on. Someone must have mis-counted...

Reply to
polygonum

Then it is up to you to correct it! That's what the Open bit of OpenStreetMap means! It is open to anybody to edit so you can delete/amend the business name and add all the house names/numbers.

The more people contribute, the better the map becomes for everybody!

I've added a missing footpath and access steps near me and corrected the access route to a couple of local footbridges.

I use it a lot when exploring strange areas because it often contains lots of details which are missing from other maps.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I don't use it, so I have no intention of correcting it. I did my bit when TomTom were telling lorry drivers to make a super sharp and impossible turn in front of my house instead of directing them to the other end of the road. We got tired of seeing lorry radiator grills staring into the living room window. I eventually contacted TomTom, having had to create an account even though I didn't have a TomTom, they redirected me to the folks who actually supply them with maps and directions, (Terraserver) and they eventually made the change. But what a palaver to make it happen. I will never, ever buy a Tomtom because of their attitude. They had a Consumer Forum, where most of the messages were of the form: "How the hell do we get TomTom to listen to our complaints?". They eventually closed the forum down, saying that it was not needed any more. I think it ran out of space for the unanswered messages.

Reply to
Davey