OT, strange 'phone call, probable attempt at 'Advance Fee Fraud'

W1 area of London

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It is probably a new twist on a scam, we get them all the time. We are ex-directory, TPS registered - none of which makes a jot of difference, they ring knowing the name and address and phone number. The Indian call centres collect sell and exchange these details.

They can now spoof the originating phone number too, so 020 may not even mean the call originated from London, it could have come from anywhere in the world. If you have doubts, make note of their number and type it into a search engine - lots of complaints suggest it is a scam.

When I answer they just get a few choice Anglo Saxon words down the phone.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I do not really know what other details he may have had, once I asked him the time and he took a looonng time to answer, I hung up.

He called straight back leaving a message.

Did you not see my response to your question earlier in the thread ? My apologies if you think I was ignoring your question.

I am not that worried now. But at the time, it left me quite bothered, and a little shaky / light-headed.

Then I found that that number had been used to call many people before, some quite a few times. So it's obviously some scam. An operator/ assistant at the Actionfraud website called it 'an Advance Fee Fraud'.

David

Reply to
David

(snip)

We too are TPS registered, and it did make a difference after a while.

I am not surprised,

I did that straight away, and found it had been reported by quite a few other people.

David

Reply to
David

The 020 phone number does not mean the call came from London or even the UK. That particular number appears to come from a range assigned to Magrathea Telecommunications Limited whose numbers are typically used by VoIP services.

It doesn't sound like he had any personal information other than what hundreds of people already know about you. Stop worrying.

Reply to
Graham.

It isn't...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Wind up detected. Fuck off.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

(snip)

I had to snip as my reader would not post my reply as there were "too many quoted lines".

OK, thanks for the reply.

David

Reply to
David

You need some anti-gas pills.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's all true. I will try to figure out how to get this recording on-line.

David

Reply to
David

Smell the coffee.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

This is a DIY group. Alt talk bollocks is that ay ---------------------------------------------------------> Now, just f*ck off before ARW gets here.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

On Wednesday 29 May 2013 17:58 David wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hope the dingbat rings me - I could have some fun...

The last thing you do with a warrent is employ some throbber to ring the recipient so he can bugger off before the police get there...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Give me a kiss:-)

Reply to
ARW

I still live in three houses

tim

Reply to
tim......

ITYF that ceased to be a scam ages ago

now it is c*ck-up by "genuine" call centres

Reply to
tim......

I think you'll find Pounder is in a minority of one. You have nothing to prove.

Reply to
Graham.

Is that what you call it ?

DerekG

Reply to
DerekG

I give out a different email address to every website. As a very rough estimate, I reckon about 1-2% of them leak (mostly to spammers). So we must assume that about 1-2% of accounts are compromised too.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Lots of these callers have those, but in most cases as with you they are way off on a subject that will convince you they are genuine. I've had industrial injury ones, offering me services for my accident, the one I did not in fact have, and I've also had people claiming they will set bailiffs on me for unpaid debts, which all turned out to be scams both to get more data and presumably to defraud me in some way. Most of them the local plod seem to be aware of. I guess its the telephone equivalent of phishing emails.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff