OT "Standing in a queue"

They spell it O-B-A-M-A

Reply to
Richard

A word that was not used when I was a child. It was always tip.

Reply to
harry

I have heard "loo" used in US programmes. And "nick" meaning "to steal".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As a now retired sub postmaster, I can quite believe that, particularly as books of stamps are sold in 6s and 12s :-)

Reply to
News

In message , Graham. writes

Agreed. I spend quite a lot of my online time chatting with Americans, particularly about railway related subjects, so I say ties not sleepers, railroad not railway etc.

Reply to
News

I hate the current American use of the word 'Chops'W.T.F

Reply to
fred

Same meaning but used as a general term like "jerk". There was a Mr Wanker in Mork & Mindy once.

Reply to
Scott M

It's old English rather than Americanism. Used to be common here.

Reply to
Scott M

As in 'I found him looking at pictures of nude women and doing an obama all over the carpet'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

presumably a corruption of seven nights as fortnight is fourteen nights

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I met a yank whose name was Robert Bollick once.

Guess what his staff called him behind his back.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought it was at 4C

Reply to
whisky-dave

Bob?

Reply to
Scott M

half right...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a slight aside from that, why do estate agents pedantically quote rents as £x per calendar month? What other sort of months are there?

Reply to
The Other John

The length of time taken by the moon to revolve once around the earth (29.53 days), a lunar month

anomalistic month The interval between the moon's perigee passages = 27.5545 days

sidereal or stellar month The time in which the moon passes round the ecliptic to the same point among the stars = 27.3217 days

solar month One-twelfth of a solar year

synodic month The period of the moon's phases = 29.5306 days

tropical or periodic month The time from the moon's passing the equinox until it reaches it again =

27.3216 days [Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My ISP gives customers the choice (inter alia) of being billed per calendar month or per lunar month...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
charles

I remember when the company that I worked for changed from paying people every four weeks to paying them every calendar month. That caused a lot of hassle when the nerds (and I worked with some real nerds!) tried to work out whether they would be better/worse/the same after the change - not sure why it made any difference averaged over the year. And it was a *lot* easier to be paid on the same date each month when working out when direct debits should be debited (just after rather than just before pay-day).

Reply to
NY

US friends named their son John Thomas!

Reply to