OT; Standby/on call rates

I'd probably charge less than you, so my ideas may be way out of sync with yours, but in a similar situation, I'd go for £50 a day, to be 'on standby', then charge a minimum of 2 hours normal rate for each call. e.g, £50 a day, even if you do nothing, then at least double your normal rate for a quick call-out. Anything more involved than a hour or so, I would likely charge at 1.5 times normal. I think this would be a reasonable rate for both sides, you will be compensated £50 a day for carrying around your mobile, and the Uni will not feel ripped off at paying those rates for the small chance of needing you. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thats more or less my thinking mate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

========================================= Just a general impression.

A grandfather who, "...wasn't planning on doing much for those three days..", but can't resist extra (and possibly very demanding) work to fill those slack days when offered.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I got £950 for being on call on Decmber 31st 1999/Jan 1st 2000. Does that count?

Reply to
Huge

I'm 57, so I guess that is middle-aged by current standards. Having done this now for 3 years I'm fitter than I've been for years though.

I can't resist the idea of being paid to do very little :-)

It's only 9-5 and none of the work there is demanding by any standards. I don't reckon I'll be called out anyway.

Interesting though, the impressions you get of other people.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As a sign of how bird-brained I've become, may I ask what kind of problem will be deemed (i) too serious for the occupier to wait until 27 December but (ii) not so serious that they can't wait up to 16 hours for attention?

Reply to
neverwas

It is indeed. Those who think a standby is money for nothing should query the employer as to why they're willing to pay for nothing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The are paying for piece of mind. They asked me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You do brain surgery as well? ...pass the angle grinder...

... or maybe they wanted peace of mind?

Reply to
Paddy O'Doors

A risky time to be at work. You could have caught the millennium bug.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Charge as much as you think they'd bear for the fixed fee or, say, 1/2 days labour costs if you're not sure.

M.

Reply to
Mark

:-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Lucky barsteward. I still want to know why my wife's car insurance excluded the "Millenium bug" explicitly, when it had a carburettor and points ignition. It didn't even *know* the date.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Some of the engineers at my work got more than that. Even though it was to "fix" the problems in the system I designed. Needless to say nothing happened.

Reply to
dennis

Oh, I wasn't *at* work. I dialled in.

Reply to
Huge

Much like the lift controller at work. It was full of cams, motors and microswitches.

Reply to
Huge