[OT} Stables

How many forces still have mounted sections? I know Leics don't and Notts got rid of theirs recently.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good point. My first thought was the Met, because we've all seen them on TV in crowd control situations, but recently? I don't know. Perhaps police horses, like military horses, are purely ceremonial these days.

Reply to
News

Leicester had to borrow some from City of London Police to escort Dicky III to his re-burial ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Nightjar writes

Thanks, Tim and Colin. This house was never a farm house. It is one of a row of three facing the village green and church, the middle of the three being the former manse. The houses behind these are built on farm land, of course, and the fields behind them are still farmed from the same farm, and the same family. There are still a lot of traditional small farms here - small compared with modern English farms which today are huge, having been formed by amalgamating a lot of smaller farms.

The village as it is now only really dates back to the late 1700s, so is modern in UK terms, and did not really expand until the arrival of the railway in 1866.

Possibly three - there could have been a third door in the part now demolished. I only noticed yesterday (after 13 years!) that the area to the left had a ceiling at one point. The now exposed rafters over just that area have remnants of old nails and even small bits of wood. No trace of anything like that in the area to the right.

Reply to
News

I've seen them walking down Mile End Road last year, two together.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Manchester still do - not far from my daughter's place.

Reentrant