OT Spitfire and the BBC reporting

Yep. The Nimrod. Still flying I believe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just try and remember that the Hurricane played a bigger role in the battle of Britain than the Spitfire.

Reply to
dennis

Have they stopped flying them now? I don't think they have.

Reply to
dennis

Like the females?

Reply to
dennis

Wrong as usual, Brabazon didn't fall out of the sky and the Mk 1 racked up about 400 hours flying time. It was grounded by economics, not technical or safety problems.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Now a confession that Drivel lives in a tenement block.

Reply to
Steve Firth

|Doctor Drivel wrote: | |> The Brabazon project did fall out of the sky. |> | |Wrong as usual, Brabazon didn't fall out of the sky and the Mk 1 racked |up about 400 hours flying time. It was grounded by economics, not |technical or safety problems.

Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky, for must the reasons given by OP It was grossly underpowered, and slow. Which would have made it |>> seem as though it was going to fall out of the sky

>> Passengers would not spend 12 hours in a Brabazon when they could reach their destination in a smaller, faster aircraft in seven.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Utter bullshit, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out of the sky".

It wasn't the "low speed" that finished off Brabazon, it was the economics of a 50 seater aircraft competing with a 150+ seater aircraft. The economics of pure luxury vs. cattle class travel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

|> Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky, ^^^^^^^^^

|Utter bullshit, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out |of the sky".

ROTFLMAO He does not know the meaning of asterisks round a word.

Reading comprehension classes are available free at your local further education establishment.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Used for emphasis, usually by people desperate top make an incorrect point. At no time did the Brabazon project fall out of the sky, it was simply mothballed then forgotten. Exaggeration of the type that you and Drivel are prone to is a gross distortion of fact.

Sadly there's no cure for what ails you, not until you have the decency to pop your clogs like Allen.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Passengers would not spend three hours in a Concorde when they could reach their destination in a bigger, slower aircraft such as the 747 in eight.

Reply to
Matt

Either you can't judge distances very well or the plane seriously flouted clearance height regulations. I tend to believe the former is correct. Are you sure this really was a South African you were with or was it on top of Nelson Mandela House?

Now cut me a pipe 510mm long and don't use a hacksaw.

Reply to
Matt

As I kid, during the height of the Cold War I lived close to RAF Finningley, which used to put on an annual air display, one of the highlight of which was a demo of the "Vulcan Scramble". As a six-year-old, the significance of what it all meant was somewhat lost on me, but in a real-life situation the bombers would have been 'scrambled' to go and drop their payload of nukes on Moscow, before the inbound ICBMs hit.

The sight and sound of a squadron of Vulcan bombers all taking off together really was something else; the ground would literally shake as these things climbed almost vertically on full afterburn. Awesome stuff!

David

Reply to
Lobster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zoinks saying something like:

Still there, do you think? If so, and if they were crated or preserved in any way, they might be of some use to someone.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Slower and lacked the ability to be further developed to the same extent as the Spit, though. Nevertheless a great plane and one which was, like the Spit, developed just in time and in sufficient numbers to make a difference.

At the end of the war the Spit itself was becoming out-classed by the likes of the Mustang.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Firth saying something like:

Locked ward in a psychiatric block, more like.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Only 'cos we gave 'em proper engines.

Reply to
Guy King

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:27:38 +0000, Steve Firth |> wrote: |> |> |> |> Wrong as usual, the *project* did fall out of the Sky, |> ^^^^^^^^^ |> |> |Utter bullshit, point to a single report of a Brabazon ever "falling out |> |of the sky". |> |> ROTFLMAO He does not know the meaning of asterisks round a word. | |Used for emphasis, usually by people desperate top make an incorrect |point. At no time did the Brabazon project fall out of the sky, it was |simply mothballed then forgotten. Exaggeration of the type that you and |Drivel are prone to is a gross distortion of fact.

metaphor

>>Definitions of metaphor on the Web: a figure of speech in which an expression is used to refer to something that it does not literally denote in order to suggest a similarity

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

Yep. The Allison was s**te.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Lord Hall, you know nothing of airyplanes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel