OT: Sold phone on eBay

Sold a phone for approx £200. Immediate payment.

Only problem is that PayPal informed me that the funds are "pending" and would not be release for up to 21 days.

Not really sure why? never had this happened before - 500+ feedback at

100%, member since 2001, mainly buying, but selling as well (but usually for £10's, rather than £100's).

Buyer seems legit - 50-odd feedback, 100%, although only 2 purchases in last year. Address confirmed.

I will be sending using Royal Mail Special Delivery, so I will know if/when it gets there, and I even had my phone recording a video when packing to try and avoid the "box arrived, but it was empty" scam. I also took a note of the IMEI, etc.

Any reason to be concerned (i.e. because of PayPal)?

Anything else to look out for?

TIA.

Reply to
JoeJoe

JoeJoe scribbled

PayPal don't trust you

The money still belongs to you. It?s just temporarily not available to use, until your buyer has received the item they ordered in the condition promised.

Buyer ain't in Nigeria is he ?

Reply to
Jonno

Thanks for replying.

I've read all of the above before sending the original message. The buyer is in the UK.

My question(s) is: is there anything else I can do to protect myself?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Is your Paypal account linked to your bank account via DD?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it is linked to my credit card.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I was wondering if it was because they hadn't got an easy way of getting their money back in event of a claim against you. I've never had this - but then don't often sell high value stuff on Ebay either. But my Paypal account has an alternative - DD or credit card. It defaults to DD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The exact reason why I linked it to a CC and not a bank account.

Not that I've ever had anything to hide - just don't like eBay policies/attitude/customer service in general, and don't really trust them. Would have been happy to go elsewhere if there was a real alternative.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Ah. I got the impression Paypal preferred a bank account.

Yes. They're not perfect. But no guarantee an alternative would be better. If there was one. But so saying I've had lots of transactions with them and very few problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a sharp intake of breath when I looked at the details for selling.

10% commission could be painful compared to selling locally on Gumtree.

I can't recall ever selling anything on eBay, which means I must have lead a sheltered life.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In article , JoeJoe writes

Have you looked on ebay/paypal web sites? I seem to remember reading about this but it was some time ago.

Reply to
bert