OT Solar energy generated in the UK.overtook coal last Summer.

Come off it, its a web site that displays some data off another site. They aren't that difficult, they are just time consuming. You can even drag the stuff off into relational databases and use off the shelf programs if you don't have the time but have the desire and some cash.

I did similar a few years back (~15) by taking the output of a unix resource program (tops IIRC) over a TCP link into a java program and displayed the resource utilisation on a PC in real time while we were working on a bit of System X. It had widgets where the background was a bar graph and the text was the value that was written from scratch as the libraries for that sort of stuff hadn't been invented then.

Unless you disagree with him you won't understand how he thinks.

Reply to
dennis

Agreed, and as one who did the assets database and web front end to it at my last job, I know what's involved. By "low achiever" I suppose I'm talking about some of those on the PHP and javascript groups who asking basic questions and being unable to understand any of the answers.

I've also come across this at CERN and SLAC. The chap who, having written a 20 line program, thought he had "done" software and wondered whether he should try his hand at hardware next.

Then there was the chap who was sent out to CERN by his home institution supposedly to write software for their physics collaboration. Someone was explaining the concept of opening a file to him in terms of getting the disk heads positioned ready to do a read. "But", he said, "might not the disk have rotated out of position by the time you do the read?"

He ended up being used to pull cables, of which there was a lot. Of course the point was he was considered useless at home and had been sent to CERN to get rid of him.

I do disagree with him on some things.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The source for Turnip's Gridwatch page shows it's only a dashboard showing data pulled from BM Reports (which offers a lot more data than Turnip has taken) and converted into a visual format using some back end graphing processes which is almost certainly pre-packaged.

Nice dashboard but quite straightforward.

Reply to
pamela

Do you?...

Reply to
tony sayer

No, I don't. I don't wish to put such information on the Net.

Do you know if Turnip has got such a page for the public to see?

Reply to
pamela

Still no reply after all this time. I can't tell if that's supposed to be a yes or a no. Maybe your question was just a cheap jibe.

Reply to
pamela