OT: Sodastream discontinuing 35 litre gas cylinders

Bit of a rant: A very nice lady at SodaStream told me today that they are discontinuing their 35 litre cylinders next year in order to standardise on some new Euro-thread. I wonder how many thousands of perfectly serviceable fizzers have been consigned to landfill as a result of this! I feel better now.

Reply to
NoSpam

Mmmm. Well I expect to be discontinuing my use of their products anyway, so this'll be a good reason.

It's always been a struggle to find where their stuff is stocked.Their website might say (e.g.) that Tesco stocks it. But whether a particular store does is down to the store manager. So you might expect that a SodaStrem marketing dept with some nous might establish a database of stores that *do* stock it with feedback encouraged from end-users. That would be mutually beneficial, but somehow they weren't interested when I suggested it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's an understatement. Despite all the marketing - they (Sodastream) seem to be only interested in selling new machines...

We're running an older machine with cylinders that are probably two 'versions' out of date - and, fed up with Tesco (Cork) who sometimes stocked replacements and sometimes didn't - but were totally clueless as to when they might - we found a local CO2 supplier who now refills the bottles for us more cheaply that Tesco used to...

Simply save up until we've got 5 bottles or so empty and either drop them up there, or (if we're feeling lazy / busy) get the local 'man-with-a-van' to drop them up there & collect them - probably as cheap as the diesel to do it ourselves!

Yellow pages under CO2 suppliers.....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I have one of the machines that takes 60 litre cylinders. I normally exchange by post; buy new ones, have them delivered (to work) and then post the old ones back using the enclosed prepaid label.

They now want you to send the cylinders back in the old packaging, unpacking and repacking while the courier is on the doorstep. Or ring them up to arrange collection. Neither possible when I'm at work.

No idea, no idea at all...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Me too. It used to be available in all the supermarkets, wilkos, and chemists, and probably many other places besides. The last time I wanted some I had no choice but mail order.

In the good old days I'm sure they did Coke cola and Schwepps tonic water but now all that's available are their own brands, which don't taste the same. If they bought those back I am sure many more people would use them more.

I'm not quite sure what cylinders the OP was referring to? Is it the standard size used in all soda streams? I can't believe they will alienate all their loyal customers by making their machines obsolete. If so they really ought to offer all customers a complimentary replacement machine.

Reply to
Fred

Stupid thing is, that in this age of "greeness", those units make a lot of sense (why ship tons of water around the country/continent when it comes out of a tap?).

I used to like our old Sodastream - as you say, the genuine tonic and Coke were pretty decent.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The 35l steel cylinders are being replaced by 60l aluminium ones. These are incompatible.

They accept 35l cylinders on exchange. I believe they are operating some kind of trade in deal for machines, but not sure how good a deal it is.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The deal is 20% off the list price of a new machine. Does anyone know what size the 60l cylinders are? If they're a similar physical size it may be possible to make an adapter.

Alternatively, I wonder if it would be possible to use a "pub gas" cylinder to refill the 35l steel cylinders ... ?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Friend of mine has a houseful of tqt. He once got hold of an old Sodastream, connected it up to a large CO2 cylinder he also happened to have, and proceeded to gas up 2 litre bottles of tap water, even cheaper than supermarket value water.

I think he wanted to try oxygen, but the insolubility is a bit of a problem ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The local CO2 guys did offer this as a solution - but they reckoned that a particular type of valve was required as you want to fill the Sodastream cylinder with liquid CO2 rather than gaseous CO2 - so it required a dip tube or mounting the donor tank upside down.

Costs were in the region of ?100 for the set-up - and a full donor tank would refill some 5 or so Sodastreams. Also they recommended putting the Sodastream cylinders in a deep-freeze before refilling.

It seemed a lot less complicated to give them a bunch of Sodastream cylinders and let them do the refilling from their seriously big bulk tank...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

It's a long time since I used a sodastream, but I don't ever remember any liquid sloshing around in the cylinders ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

36cm long by 6cm diameter.

And a full one doesn't slosh when shaken.

I just checked...hope that helps.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks. The steel one is 34cm x 5cm so I don't think the adapter idea is going to fly.

I don't recall the full steel ones sloshing either, so I think the liquid fill suggestion may be suspect.

Reply to
NoSpam